To Give a Heart by wildfire11
Summary: Sonic and Shadow are fighting their usual fight, until a thunderstorm forces the battle to cease. The two seperate, but Sonic rushes back at the feeling of something being terribly wrong. Shadow, it seems, is ill with a deadly disease. And he, out of all people in the world, is the only one who can take care of him. To his surprise, Sonic soon finds that there is room for a certain ebony hedgehog in his heart...
Categories: Sonadow Characters: None
Genres: Romance/Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 10252 Read: 36442 Published: May 24, 2007 Updated: July 31, 2007

1. Chapter 1: Oh Joy by wildfire11

2. Chapter 2: Raging Storms by wildfire11

3. Chapter 3: To Care is a lot in Itself by wildfire11

4. Chapter 4: Shocker by wildfire11

5. Chapter 5: The End by wildfire11

Chapter 1: Oh Joy by wildfire11
Author's Notes:
Greetings, Sonadow.com. I'm new here, and don't write very much, so please go easy on me. Only recently have I become a Sonadow fan, so I'm still new to it. I hope you'll enjoy my story.
______________________

They were at it again. It seemed their rivalry would never stop. In a way, it was fascinating to watch them fight, even if all you could see was a blue and a black vapor constantly charging at one another…

“You just never give up, do you, old man?” the blue ‘vapor’ teased.

For a second, the blur stopped, revealing a blue hedgehog with emerald eyes. The black vapor stopped as well, across from the other, revealing a black and red-striped hedgehog with crimson eyes. Both panted slightly, but refused to show any sign of pain from their fight.

“I was taught to never give up. What is so wrong with that?” the black one responded.

The azure smirked. Nothing was said as they stared at the other on full alert, ready if one of them made any single movement. The air was still in their forest environment. It was as if all of nature was holding its breath, waiting.

Finally, the blue one sped forward and their fighting resumed. A kick here and a punch there. Their speed was equal to the other, but their strength not so much. The black one was by far the stronger, and some would call the blue one a fool to even stand up against him when the advantages were not on his side. Few called him brave for that action.

Suddenly, the sky began to darken with heavy clouds, as if promising a storm. But it had no effect on the two fighting hedgehogs. Neither of them cared, nor did they want to stop their fighting. If one of them were to cower off because of the storm, the other would be victor and silently known as stronger. Both were not willing to let the other have such a privilege.

The first few drops of rain fell, but the two ignored it. Next thing they knew, it was pouring. Both hedgehogs were soon drenched to the bone from the rain. Their fur clung to their skin, and their immune systems were now vulnerable to a cold, but their fighting didn’t cease.

Suddenly, the black one sent out a kick to the unsuspecting blue hedgehog, hitting him square in the chin, and sending him flying backwards. The hedgehog felt his back collide with a tree. Unwillingly, he slid down, green eyes closed tightly, and blood dripping from the corner of his mouth. In a flash, his eyes were open again, and he was back on his feet. He would not let the ebony one win.

“It’s gonna take more than that to keep me down, Shadow!” the blue one yelled.

Shadow (as the other hedgehog was called), looked as if he was about to charge. But before either could move, a lightning struck the ground not even a mile away. Common sense overtook the ebony one. It wouldn’t be safe to fight here. He stood up straight, and without saying a word, turned around to walk away. The blue one watched his rival at first, not understanding. Finally, however, he noticed the danger that was nearby.

With a grumble, he turned heel and walked away as well. His mind reeled of angry and hateful thoughts of Shadow. Oh, how he disliked that hedgehog. For some odd reason, he was always in his thoughts. One minute would not go by without that onyx hedgehog appearing in his mind! He didn’t know why, but he hated that hedgehog for it.

Something was wrong. That was the first thing that suddenly crossed his mind. Something was very wrong. His pace quickened. The sooner he got out of this forest, the better!

But he couldn’t escape that unsettling feeling that sent the hairs on the back of his neck on end. Something was terribly wrong.

He wasn’t exactly sure what made him turn around and run back. He wasn’t even sure what led him to the exact spot where the onyx hedgehog he was thinking of earlier was. He didn’t even know what came over him and made him pick up the unconscious hedgehog. He wasn’t sure if it was him in his right mind at all when he took him to his own apartment.

All he knew was that one second, he was trying to get out of the forest by himself, and the next minute, he was at his apartment, having carried home his rival.

But that night, he found he could give one ounce of compassion for Shadow. Why?

The ebony one was ill with a deadly disease.

He didn’t know how it happened; Shadow had seemed in perfect health earlier. The only thing he did know was that currently, he was the only one who could care for the Ultimate Life form. And to this, he thought:

Oh, joy.
Chapter 2: Raging Storms by wildfire11
Author's Notes:
Next chapter is here. I thank those who reviewed very much, and to let you know, I have taken to heart what you have adviced me with. Again, I thank you. Please enjoy Chapter 2 of "To Give a Heart".
_

Shadow mumbled, feeling his strength slowly begin to come back to him.

“Where…” he began, but his voice trailed off before he could say anymore. He was weaker than he thought. He waited a bit, eyes closed, before he forced himself to get out, “Where am I?”

“Unfortunately, you’re in my apartment,” came a cocky voice.

A familiar cocky voice, at that.

“Sonic…” Shadow growled. He forced his eyes open, and turned his head to see the azure hedgehog himself standing in front of him.

“Nice attitude,” the blue speedster commented. “You could at least say ‘thank you’; it’d be highly appreciated.”

Crimson glared. “Over my dead body…” he hissed.

Emerald glared back. “You’re lucky the storm is this bad—if it wasn’t, I’d have kicked you out already!”

Shadow sat up angrily. Just as he did so, pain erupted from his chest, sharp and antagonizing. He gritted his teeth, suppressing the sudden cry of agony that was coming from his throat, and laid back down, fists clenching.

“What…did you…do to me?” he asked angrily, immediately putting the blame on his blue rival.

“Me?!” Sonic sounded surprised, yet enraged. “I didn’t do anything!”

“Then why…is there…pain…in my…chest?” Shadow opened his blood red eyes, glaring at Sonic. He still blamed him for the hurt.

“You have a disease, Shadow—a deadly one! That’s what’s causing it, so don’t go blaming me!” Sonic defended.

A disease? That was new.

“I don’t…get…sick…” the black and red hedgehog replied. The pain was slowly subsiding.

“Well, now you are,” was all Sonic said, before he turned to walk past the dark red couch Shadow was laying on.

“Where you going…faker?” Shadow wasn’t going to let Sonic off that easy.

Sonic turned around, quills bristling from hearing the nickname.

“I was going to get you a blanket, but from the way you’re acting, I’m not so sure anymore!” it was evident from the tone of voice that Sonic wasn’t too happy.

“And why…would I need…a blanket, faker?” Shadow smirked inwardly, feeling no guilt for repaying Sonic’s hospitality this way.

“To keep yourself warm so you don’t get cold—if you happen to remember, there is a vicious storm raging outside that we were fighting in earlier,” the blue hedgehog came back with a fleece maroon blanket.

Shadow was caught off-guard. Sonic was worried about him getting a cold? Of all things, that’s probably what Sonic actually wanted him to get. He looked up into the emerald eyes, expecting for when he reached out for it, that Sonic would suddenly pull it back, and say ‘but do you really think I’d care for YOUR welfare?’ But Sonic just stood there, holding out the fleece blanket, his eyes showing honesty. It disgusted Shadow. He instantly slapped the hand away, causing the blanket to tumble onto the floor.

“I don’t need any of your kindness, hedgehog—so don’t even try,” Shadow spat.

Silence. A long, uneasy, silence.

Finally, Sonic murmured, barely loud enough to hear, “So much for trying to help…”

With that, he turned and grabbed the blanket silently, before walking away once more.

Shadow said nothing. Not until he heard a door slam somewhere else in the apartment. He could feel the vibrations; it had been shut so hard. Then, he began to question if his action had really been necessary. All Sonic was trying to do was prevent him from making the disease worse. What harm in there was that?

A lot of things, he told himself silently. I almost let myself be as weak as letting that blue idiot take care of me. I would never forgive myself if I did that.

But what about the disease? Shadow found his crimson eyes drifting over towards a window that was across from his feet. Through it, he could see exactly what Sonic had been talking about. The storm was indeed fierce; flashes seemed to pierce the air, the thunder shook the earth, and heavy rain pounded against every surface. He couldn’t leave. Not with such a severe storm outside.

A sigh escaped his tan lips. So…Sonic was the only one who could cure him from this disease. I’d be a fool to reject his better judgment, he thought bitterly. But another question soon aroused within. What disease do I have, anyway? Sonic said it was fatal, but what disease would cause pain in my chest and how could it happen?

He pushed the matter aside. Sonic somehow knew what he had, and it was up to the blue hedgehog to cure him from it. A sickening feeling came over him as he realized he was at that fuzz ball’s mercy. Sonic could let him die from whatever he had, or he could help him from it. And he had been trying to help him, if Shadow hadn’t rudely rejected the offer.

A small voice in the back of the midnight-furred hedgehog’s head urged him to go apologize. What?! He shrieked. There is no power on earth that would make me do that!

But all the same, he knew it had to be done.

Shadow felt sick. He had never, ever, said sorry to someone. Why should he suddenly apologize to Sonic? He admitted, he acted foolishly and rudely, but did that really deserve to be asked forgiveness? He had never asked forgiveness for anything, and he wasn’t about to do so now.

But he did need Sonic’s help. Sonic was the only one who could cure him of this ‘deadly disease’—whatever it was. Shadow let out a sigh. Whatever he did, he had to tell Sonic that he finally realized he needed his assistance. Well…here I go... he thought, pushing himself up so he could stand. Gathering his strength, he finally stretched out his legs, standing to full height.

I’m getting weaker… he realized dreadfully. Fortunately, he was able to make the distance from the couch, to the closed door behind it. He took a deep breath, before beginning to speak.

“Sonic,” he called. “Forget about what I said earlier. I do need your help.”

No answer. Shadow furrowed his eyebrows.

“Sonic…I said I needed your help,” he repeated.

Still nothing.

“Stupid…ungrateful…little…” Shadow put his hand on the doorknob, thinking of rude, disrespectful comments of the blue blur, but when he opened the door, he was astonished to see no one there.

And a window wide open.

He could now clearly hear the thunder—sharp and piercing to his sensitive ears—and the rain that rapidly leaked in. In a flash, he ran over and closed it.

“What is that idiot—“ he cut himself off when he saw a note on the bed. A deep, sickening feeling—worse than the last ones he had experienced—overcame him as he bent down to it.

Gently, he lifted it up to read.

Shadow-

If you happen to be reading this, then go lay down. You shouldn’t be standing up and using your muscles. You’ll make the disease worse. And do as I say or else I’ll kick your butt again like I did last night. If you are wondering where I am, I went to go retrieve the medicine you need for the disease. I did some research on what you have, and found that I can get a certain type of drug for you (don’t worry; it’s nothing like alcohol or any of that junk). I should be back soon. And since you didn’t let me do this, maybe you will let yourself do it: TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

-Sonic

PS: I left the blanket under this note if you still want to use it.


Shadow stared at that note long and hard.

“Idiot!” he finally burst, standing up, and crumpling the note. How could that little twerp be so…so…so foolish?!

His crimson eyes averted to the window. Out there, somewhere, in that horrid weather was a blue hedgehog. A stubborn, idiotic, defiant…

Slowly, his eyes fell upon the crumpled note in his hand. Why is he doing this? He thought. I’m his rival; his enemy…why is he risking his life for me?

He spent a long time just staring at the note in his hand, before he felt another burst of pain erupt from his chest—and it was worse than the last time. Instinctively, he put a clenched hand up to his white tuft of fur. This time, he couldn’t suppress the howl of pain that escaped from his gritted teeth.

He could swear he was dying from the pain. He didn’t want to give in to what his mind was saying, but finally, he couldn’t help it. He needed Sonic to hurry.

Please…Sonic… his mind pleaded silently. Hurry...
Chapter 3: To Care is a lot in Itself by wildfire11
Author's Notes:
Well, I'm back again with the next chapter. I know the events may seem like they are happening too fast, but I was too excited for this chapter. You could say the "climax" is in this chapter...but I dunno. I know, I'm a very poor writer, but at least bear with me and enjoy this next chapter!

PS: Also, "mathosulioma" isn't a real disease. It's a fiction-made one of mine that I created based off of a real disease called, "mesothelioma". I knew that what I made happening probably isn't what would really happen, since I don't know anyone who has or had mesothelioma. So I made up a disease. Thanks to my dear friend who came up with what I should name it (you know who you are)!
-

Sonic’s feet pounded down the sidewalk, knowing there wasn’t a moment to lose. Shadow needed this medicine; it would help him until he could get to the hospital, where he could find what really needed to be done to cure him.

I could wait a few months, Sonic thought, pulling his only green coat around him tightly. I don’t have to get the medicine now.

The blue hedgehog stopped for a minute, looking up to find a drug store. None were on this street. Without a word, he turned and trudged on. This storm was literally causing a flood. The water had already risen up to almost the top of his shoe.

Water…I hate water… Sonic thought distastefully. I really should’ve waited…then maybe I wasn’t the one who had to get this for him—somebody else could take care of him.

But…

Sonic came to a halt. He couldn’t explain why it hurt him so, but it did. When he saw Shadow, seething in pain, he became afraid.

But Sonic the Hedgehog? Afraid? It didn’t happen…or so was thought.

What am I afraid about? He wondered. Suddenly, a gasp escaped his lips as it dawned on him. I’m afraid of losing Shadow… he realized. But…why?! He’s been my rival ever since Eggman awakened him from that GUN base. Why am I suddenly afraid of losing HIM?!

A sudden coldness swept against his ankle, making Sonic gasp again. He looked down. The water had risen to his ankle.

Well…now’s the moment of truth, isn’t it? he asked himself silently. I can either go get that medicine for Shadow, or wait so then someone else can get it and take him to the hospital.

Lightning flashed in the sky, and Sonic winced at the thunder that had sounded soon after. He knew he didn’t have time to dilly-dally. It was either he went on, or he turned back.

Sonic furrowed his eyebrows. It was tempting to go back, but…

I’m going on, he thought. And with that, he continued jogging into the storm.

-

Shadow grabbed a hold of the bed as he helped himself up. The pain had subsided once more, but he sure as heck didn’t want it coming back again. He gently lied down on the dark blue covered bed, and let out an exhausted breath.

He really wanted that medicine Sonic talked about. It would make bearing this disease easier.

But what did he have, anyway?

Shadow shook his head. He wasn’t going to think about that right now.

The ebony hedgehog’s eyes fell down upon a lump on the bed that was below his left leg. It was the maroon blanket. With a sigh, he took it out from underneath his leg, and laid it over himself. It was warm. Shadow couldn’t hide a smile. He felt comfortable, even if he was on his rival’s bed, and using his rival’s blanket. This was a comfort he hadn’t felt for a few days—but what had seemed like an eternity.

And before the ebony one knew it, he had fallen asleep.

-

Sonic grabbed onto a lamppost, clinging to it tightly. Water raged about him, now almost halfway up the lower part of his leg.

I…hate…water…, he repeated over and over again. Lightning struck the ground not far away, the loud crack of thunder that resounded soon after making his ears ring.

The water tried to sweep him off his feet, but he stood firmly—the only being out in the storm. His mind battled over what he was right now. Crazy? Maybe. Brave? Slight possibility. Risky? Heck yeah. He was risking his life out in this storm, and all for what? A simple, rotten, ill-mannered, stuck-up, self-centered, murderous, black hedgehog?

Sonic questioned what would be the result of his deed if he ever got back to the apartment alive and was able to get Shadow to the hospital to be cured. More teasing? Yeah. More fighting? Most likely. More at-the-other’s-neck-kind-of-rivalry? Definitely.

A sigh escaped his peach lips. Shadow would be back to his old self once he was cured. He, himself, would get no ‘thank you’ for saving him. That was how the ebony one worked. You care for #1, and #1 alone. If others were so naïve to help you, then that was their choice.

But still…seeing Shadow pain-free again…

Sonic dared to take another step, the water beginning to reach his knees. The exact motivation that had driven him to go out into this storm in the first place was beginning to drive him to go on again. He would find that medicine for Shadow, no matter what that good-for-nothing hedgehog did in return.

After all, he was a hero. It was his nature to give up what he could for others. And this would be no different.

As Sonic continued walking, he discovered it was beginning to become a struggle. The water was up to his knees, threatening to pull him with the strong current. But he pushed his weight forward, pulling the jacket around him tighter and trudging onward.

He would find this cure. That was all that he could think about. But fear clung to him as the water inched higher.

His eyes widened, flashbacks ripping through his mind of his last encounter with the clear liquid. Flailing…

Screaming…

No air…

No mercy…

Drowning…

NO! Sonic closed his eyes, clutching onto his jacket tightly. That was in the past. He couldn’t think about himself.

A hero means giving up everything for others.

And that would mean giving up his fear. But…he couldn’t get rid of the haunting memories of what happened before, when he was so young!

Courage is not the absence of fear, but the facing of it.

Is that what he had to do right now? But how could he face this fear in a time like this?!

By realizing Shadow needed him.

Something sparked inside of Sonic, and he couldn’t explain it. He had to conquer his fear; if he didn’t, the life of one of his most valuable rivals would be lost. Sonic forced his eyes open.

I can do this, he thought. He took a few more steps forward, putting his strength into them. The water was halfway up his thighs, now.

I can do this!

But the very strength he put into those thoughts was shattered when lightning once again struck not far away, and a wave of water rushed forward, pushing him into the water.

Panic in its truest form struck Sonic’s heart like a clean, double-edged sword. He flailed about, his feet desperately trying to get a firm hold on the ground so he could stand, but it didn’t work. The current was too strong.

NO! Sonic fought, eyes closed tight. The flashbacks became more vivid as everything that happened when he was just a child became very similar to the events that were happening now.

He was in a frenzy, not being able to think straight. His feet clawed against the ground, his arms waving about to grab a hold on something—anything! He had to get out of there!

Finally, a pole hit his wrist, and instinctively, his hand grabbed it. In a flash, his other hand grabbed the pole as well. He pulled himself upwards with every last strength in his body, arms wrapping around the lamppost that his hand had found.

He coughed and sputtered as air was reunited with his lungs. His entire body shook, cold, and his eyes refused to open. Terror still had a strong grasp on him. The water—which was now up to his waist--rushed passed him, trying to pull him back in, but Sonic clung to the pole, desperate to stay away.

And yet, despite his fear, the hedgehog was still set on finding that medicine.

He forced his eyes open. The rain made it difficult to see, but that didn’t phase him. He was determined to get that medicine. Rival or not, he wasn’t going to let someone die.

It took a little bit, but finally, he saw a drugstore a little less than a block away. Sonic’s heart found a ray of hope. But the next question was: how to get there? Well…there was really only one way.

To fight against the current.

Sonic closed his eyes, panic beginning to take over him again. The water would devour him again—he wasn’t exactly the strongest and heaviest person in the world. Although he was, in fact, tall for his age, he was still light.

Courage isn’t the absence of fear, but the facing of it.

He had to face his fear. That was the only way. Sonic took a deep breath, fighting against the terror that clung to him, and slowly let go of the pole. His feet found the ground—and not a moment too soon. The current began to pick up speed, almost throwing him back into the craziness. But the blue hedgehog somehow was able to keep his ground. He waited until the strong movement passed, before beginning his slow trek towards the drugstore.

It was a difficult journey, but when he made it, he couldn’t help but feel accomplished. More than accomplished, in fact. But Sonic quickly jumped up from the water, and up the stairs that led to the front door of the store without taking a second thought.

Gathering up what voice he had left in him, he banged his fist against the glass door, shouting, “HEY! HEY! OPEN UP! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!”

No answer.

Sonic’s heart began to fall. “COME ON! OPEN UP!” he yelled, hitting the door harder.

Still nothing.

“FOR GOODNESS SAKE! OPEN THAT DARN DOOR UP!” he cried.

Silence.

A deep, sickening, emptiness overcame the cerulean hedgehog. He swerved around, leaning against the door, and sliding down to the ground. Everything…all that he had done…had been for nothing.

He could not believe it.

His face rested in his hands. This was it. Shadow’s last hope was gone. He had failed.

Sonic the Hedgehog had failed.

Of course, it wasn’t the first time he messed up. He made mistakes like everyone else did—but this one cost him big time.

Why did he care so much, anyway?

Shadow was a valuable rival, he had to admit. But there was nothing personal in it. He just cared for the ebony one’s welfare.

Wait…cared?!

Shadow had been a loner for as long as he remembered. No one cared about him; he cared about no one. Of course, Rouge had some compassion for him—but even then, when it came down to it, she’d throw him away like a toothpick.

Okay, so he was concerned about the Ultimate Life form. He had a sad story, after all. Losing the only family you knew, and then finding out that your real family is aliens. Shadow had been through a lot. He needed someone to care for him.

Perhaps Sonic could be that someone…?

He didn’t know. People would think it was weird, anyway. Them and their perverse thoughts…they’d think something was going on.

But what if only Shadow knew…wait, what if Shadow knew at all that Sonic cared for him? That was a scary thought.

Oh, what was he thinking? He was out in a storm, having risked his life for Shadow, only to find that all his efforts had been for nothing and now the ebony one’s death was certain.

Maybe it was because he wasn’t fast enough. Or maybe…

Sonic’s train of thought was suddenly interrupted when he felt the support from the door behind him be swiped away.

“HEY!” he shouted as his back collided with the ground. He looked up, at first angry, but then realizing something.

Someone had opened the door.

He gasped, seeing the person who had done so standing over him. “Get inside before the storm leaks in!” they urged.

Sonic didn’t need to be told twice. In a flash, he was up and inside the store, the door closing shut behind him.

“What the heck do you think you’re doing out there, Sonic!” the person—a human male—yelled at him. “I mean, I know you’re reckless and all, but that’s outrageous!”

“I need medicine,” Sonic quickly informed.

“You shouldn’t be out there! Heroes like you need to be refreshed and ready to stop Dr. Eggman when the time comes! We can’t risk you getting a--medicine?? What kind of medicine?” the person asked, suddenly realizing what the blue hedgehog had asked.

“For mathosulomia,” Sonic quickly informed.

The man’s eyes widened. “That explains everything! Come—this way!”

Sonic’s heart was filled with a new hope as the man led him to Shadow’s only chance of no pain…

-

Shadow’s nose twitched as he began to wake up. He slowly opened his eyes, feeling refreshed from his sleep. But then, suddenly, he realized his sight was eclipsed by a soft, sea blue pillow…

A pillow?!

He sat up in shock. He didn’t remember falling asleep on a pillow! Wait one moment… he thought. If I didn’t put it there, someone did, and the only one who could’ve done that was…

“Sonic!” Shadow turned to his left to see, across from the bed, a dark red upholstered chair. And in it, curled up and asleep, was the blue hedgehog himself.

Shadow furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Where was the medicine? Why didn’t Sonic wake him up when he had gotten back? Almost subconsciously, Shadow’s right hand traveled to his other wrist, scratching at a tight cloth wrapped around it.

Wait… Shadow looked down at his left wrist, and his eyes widened at the bandaged wrapped around it.

A sharp but small pain came from his wrist when he tried to move it. He gave me the medicine… he realized. Through my vein…

But another thought that aroused within angered Shadow. And he did it while I was sleeping!

Shadow looked up at the sleeping hedgehog, scarlet eyes flaring. But then, he froze when he heard a small, maybe even cute, sound come from Sonic.

It was a sneeze.

Does he have a cold? Shadow thought. He didn’t want to get up and find out—it was the least of his worries, anyway. Why should he care if his rival got sick? Sonic helped him, but that was his problem. Not Shadow’s. That blue bean bag did it on his own free will.

Shadow looked out the window. The storm was lighting up. It was still raining and thundering, but not as fierce as before.

“Shadow…you’re awake?”

The black and red hedgehog turned to see Sonic looking at him. His green eyes looked a bit hazy, and Shadow guessed that was from the cold.

He nodded sharply. “Yeah…but what is it to you?”

The cerulean hedgehog ignored the harshness in Shadow’s voice, and asked, while standing up, “How do you feel?”

Shadow blinked a few times in surprise, but he held his firm composure. “I’m…fine.”

“Any pain?”

The ebony one was caught off-guard about the questions concerning his health, but he answered, “No…surprisingly not.”

Sonic nodded, a faint smile on his muzzle. “That’s good…any breathing problems or anything?”

“No,” Shadow answered, a slight hint of annoyance in his voice from all the questions.

Another nod. “All right, then…” With that, Sonic sat back down in the red chair, massaging his temple with his fingers.

“How long was I asleep?” Now it was Shadow’s turn to ask the questions.

Sonic looked up at him before answering, “How do you expect me to know?”

“When did you get back?”

A shrug. “Sometime after you feel asleep.”

“When did you fall asleep?”

“After I injected you with the medicine.”

“And that would be…?”

“After two long hours and ten minutes of having to give you that stuff.”

Shadow furrowed his eyebrows. “Why did you have to take that long to give me the medicine?”

“That’s what the instructions say,” Sonic answered simply.

Shadow’s furrow deepened. Finally, he asked, “Sonic…what disease do I have?”

The blue hedgehog looked at him, the motions of his hands stopping. It was obvious he was reluctant about telling Shadow, but if the ebony one asked, he wanted to know.

He sighed. “You have mathosulomia. It’s where you have cancer cells in the sac outlining your chest, the lining of your abdominal cavity, or the lining around your heart—in your case, its your chest.”

Shadow thought about this a minute. He had heard about mathosulomia before. Only vague comments about it, however, like people dying from it.

“Since I couldn’t take you to the hospital, I decided to try and use the chemotherapy way…so I got you the medicine. So far, its working, but I still want a doctor’s look at you…they’ll definitely know what to do…” Sonic’s voice trailed off as he noticed Shadow staring at him. “What?”

Shadow furrowed his eyebrows. “Why do you care so much?” he asked bluntly.

A smirk crossed Sonic’s face, and he couldn’t hold it back. “I’m special that way, Shadow,” he informed. “I just care about you. There’s nothing more that needs to be said.”

Shadow’s face filled up with scorn as an idea crossed his mind. “It’s that ‘hero’ duty of yours, isn’t it?”

“What?”

“Face it, Sonic!” Shadow barked. “You don’t really care about me! All you’re trying to do is be the ‘hero’ once more!”

Sonic’s face was full of shock. “What are you--?”

“You’re not obliged to save me!” Shadow accused. “You just did it because you think that then I’ll respect you—but give it up, Faker! I’ll never hold any respect for you—ever!”

“DO YOU KNOW WHAT I DID FOR YOU?!”

The force in the sudden burst surprised even Shadow. Sonic was standing now, hazed green eyes full of anger.

“Are you so blind to not see all that I did JUST to get that medicine for you?! Do you think I’d go that far just to prove I’m a ‘hero’? I got you your medicine on my own will—and apparently those words don’t prove it to you!” Sonic shouted.

“You should know I don’t trust your word, hedgehog,” Shadow spat. “I never trust anything that comes out of your filthy mouth.”

“Well I’m sick and tired of hearing your ungrateful responses to whatever I do! I’m just trying to help you Shadow—is that so much to ask?!” Sonic shouted.

“You’re not trying to help me—“

“YES I AM!”

The scream echoed throughout the room, silencing their argument. Shadow stared at Sonic. He had never heard such desperation, such…anger and hurt in his doppelganger’s voice.

“I care about you, Shadow…why don’t you believe me…?” Sonic asked more quietly, almost pleadingly.

Shadow watched him for a moment. It almost…pleasured him to see that look of hurt on Sonic’s face. But yet…it almost pained him, too. Sonic didn’t, yet did, deserve the harsh words he wanted to spit at him. Then, almost like a habit, he pushed it further.

“Because you don’t deserve my trust, hedgehog. You don’t deserve anything from me…” he replied coldly.

Silence. A quiet, uneasy, paining silence.

“I guess that’s it, then…” Sonic said, the sadness evident in his voice. Shadow felt a pang of guilt at hearing the hurt in the azure one’s tone. “I’ll be back later to make sure you’re okay…”

And with that, Sonic left silently.
Chapter 4: Shocker by wildfire11
Author's Notes:
I'm not completely satisfied with this chapter--let me tell you first. But since a certain friend of mine as been bugging me to update, I might as well. Again, this is probably a very ill-written chapter, so remember: YE HAVE BEEN WARNED. (Oh, and new thing: the single quotation marks will go around thoughts from now on; I find that easier to do than the whole < i > txt < / i >)
-

Shadow sat on the edge of the bed, staring out the window. The storm had been reduced to heavy rain, but his mind wasn’t on the weather. His mind was lost in his thoughts.

‘Why does he care so much?’ he couldn’t get over Sonic’s willingness to help him. It made him angry—infuriated for some reason. Why? Because that rodent was beginning to have an effect on him.

‘Why can’t I figure him out?!’ he thought angrily as he gripped the sheets tighter with his hand. It seemed to him that there was always something new to discover about his blue counterpart. One minute, he’d be trying to kill you, and the next, he’d be risking his life to safe you.

What was there to him?!

The confusion made his head hurt—which was another reason for his anger. Sonic just HAD to make everything difficult, didn’t he?

With a sigh, he turned his attention to the digital alarm clock nearby. He had been there for 20 minutes just sitting, and staring.

Man, how he hated that—

A thud.

In a flash, Shadow was standing. That thud…it came from outside the room! ‘Sonic…?’ was all he thought as he raced out to the kitchen.

His eyes fell upon a kneeling blue hedgehog, one hand to his forehead, the other gripping the counter.

Wait…why was he here? He didn’t care about Sonic! What had driven him out of that room?

A quiet groan from Sonic shook him out of his thoughts. It sounded…miserable.

“Sonic…what are you doing on the floor?” he asked. He made his voice sound ruthless and taunting, even though he was a little concerned for the blue pest.

Another groan, but in it, Shadow just barely make out the words, “Go away…”

“How nice…” he scoffed. “Get up. The storm’s lightened—we should be getting to the hospital.”

A small nod. “Just give me a minute…” Sonic said quietly.

“A minute? What for?” Shadow replied with a raised eyebrow.

The blue hedgehog pulled himself up to his feet, eyes closed as if concentrating. “Just give me a minute…” he repeated.

Shadow sighed. “Fine…but you know I don’t like waiting.”

The ebony hedgehog watched his blue doppelganger for a while. He looked slightly pale, and a little weak. Suddenly, it struck him.

“You’re sick, aren’t you?” he asked.

Sonic turned to him, opening his hazed green eyes. “What does it mean to you? You probably don’t care, anyway…”

Shadow was offended by the comment, and in a flash had grabbed Sonic’s wrist, twisting it behind him, and pinning him to the counter with his other hand, their faces dangerously close.

“Don’t judge me, hedgehog…” he seethed through closed teeth. “You don’t know what I think, so don’t try to act like you do.”

Sonic winced from the sudden pain that surged up his arm. He glared back with the same fire in his eyes as the onyx hedgehog had in his own.

“You hate me—you can’t deny it,” he hissed. “We’ve always hated each other—and that’s all we’re ever gonna do!”

For some reason, his heart filled with complete regret for what he said. ‘That’s not true!’ his heart cried, although he didn’t exactly know why.

“Really? Last time I checked, I thought you said you CARED for my well being…has that changed over the last half hour?” Shadow hissed back.

“With the way you are treating me in return for my concern, maybe…” Sonic’s ears flattened against his head.

Shadow growled. “I don’t need your concern, hedgehog,” he retorted.

“Oh…really? So you’d rather be withering in pain than have me cure you from it?!” Sonic replied, voice raising.

“Heck yes! I will not lower myself to require the help of YOU!” Shadow exclaimed.

“Too bad! You already did!” Sonic shouted back.

“Shut up!” Shadow tried to press Sonic against the counter harder, but suddenly, the blue hedgehog accidentally squeezed from the hold, falling to the kitchen floor.

Shadow, since he had been leaning and pressing all his weight on Sonic, fell with him. And then, the most unexpected and sudden thing that could ever happen, happened.

Their lips connected.

Time seemed to freeze. Both Shadow’s and Sonic’s eyes were wide open in astonishment as they both lay there, lips claiming lips.

Suddenly, time resumed as Shadow immediately stood up, breaking the kiss.

“What was that for, you pervert?!” he cried, wiping off his lips with his arm.

Sonic was still dazed, but shook his head. “I…wow…”

“Whaddya mean, ‘wow’?! Did you actually enjoy it?! You’re more demented than I thought!!” Shadow slapped him across the face.

Sonic glared, holding his cheek, standing up. “I’m not demented! In no way did I enjoy that kiss!”

“Then why are you blushing?!?!”

The comment left Sonic stunned. He was…blushing? He reached the gloved hand higher feel the top of his cheek. It felt warm.

Shadow glared at Sonic. “I can’t believe you’re gay, faker…of all things…”

“I’m not gay!” Sonic cried.

“It sure seems like it!” Shadow exclaimed.

“Just shut up!” Sonic yelled, placing his hand to his head then. The argument wasn’t at all agreeing with his bad cold…

Shadow rolled his eyes. “You’re weak…” he commented.

Sonic glared at him, hurt in his eyes. “How much longer will you go on like this, Shadow?! I’ve been as nice to you as I can…and yet you act like I’ve done nothing—if not something worse to you!”

“It’s your own fault you want to help me, hedgehog. I will do nothing in return—you, of all people, should know that,” Shadow responded. But he couldn’t help but feel a slight pang of guilt…

Sonic shook his head, not knowing what to say. A long silence passed before Sonic finally said, “Let’s go…the sooner we get you to the hospital, the sooner you’ll be out of my fur…”

Shadow let out a ‘hmph’, muttering, “Finally…”

Sonic walked over to the cabinet, taking out some medicine for his illness/cold, and swallowed the pills with a glass of water. Then, he turned and walked passed the ebony one, heading towards the door. “Come on…”

Shadow followed Sonic without a word. He couldn’t help but feel slightly sad that he was leaving Sonic’s care. Sonic felt the same way.

As he walked down the sidewalk, he couldn’t help but feel that something had sparked in his heart when they kissed. He wasn’t sure what it was…but in truth, he had enjoyed the kiss. ‘But…why?!’ he thought. ‘I’m not gay…I can’t be!’

But he couldn’t deny it. He liked the kiss.

And that scared Sonic more than even water.
Chapter 5: The End by wildfire11
Author's Notes:
Well, I was never good at ending my stories. This one is no different, sadly. T.T I at least hope you guys liked my story and that this ending doesn't seem rushed or anything...although it probably will...I guess all I can say is that I hope you guys enjoy!
-

It had been a few days, now, since the ‘kiss’ incident. Shadow had been in the hospital during that time (much to his dismay), and just got out of the surgery, completely healed him from his disease.

His strong legs dangled over the white bed’s edge, his fingers wiggling in front of his eyes. He was healed. Finally. No more excruciating pain in his abdomen, no risk of death…nothing.

And its all because of that little blue hedgehog… a voice in the back of his mind said.

His fist clenched, and he gritted his teeth. But he couldn’t deny the truth. Sonic had saved his life.

But I don’t owe him, he thought. I don’t owe anybody.

Crimson eyes slowly drifted towards the window. Speaking of Sonic, where was he? Shadow had seen no hair nor hide of him since he left him at the hospital. Only a few people had come to see him, those including: Rouge, Knuckles, and Amy and Cream (surprisingly). But he hadn’t seen Sonic. Come to think of it, neither has he seen Tails.

Shadow’s ear flickered as he heard the door open, and he looked up to see the two-tailed fox himself walk in.

Well, he took that back. Now he had seen Tails.

“Hey, Shadow,” the two-tailed fox greeted. “How are you feeling?”

“Better,” that was all Shadow offered as a reply. He eyed Tails, before asking, “What’re you doing here?”

“Sonic told me to come and see how you were doing,” the fox shrugged.

Shadow scoffed. “Doesn’t surprise me…that faker is too lazy to come up here and see me himself, anyway.”

“No, you’ve got it wrong, Shadow. Sonic just broke his fever not too long ago,” Tails replied.

“Fever?” Shadow repeated. “The faker was sick?” Again, that doesn’t surprise me. He seemed like he was before he dropped me off here…

Tails nodded. “It was a pretty bad one, too. 103 degrees Fahrenheit. Luckily it was just a regular fever. He had it ever since after the storm. I’m glad it wasn’t serious or lasted any longer. He barely wanted to eat anything.”

Again, Shadow scoffed. “I find that hard to believe…”

Tails’ eyes softened, and a long silence ensued soon after.

But then, finally, Tails spoke. “Shadow, why do you have to be so mean?”

The question was blunt and a bit rude, but it got the obsidian hedgehog’s attention.

“I mean…all of us are all trying to be nice to you…but you push us away…why?” Tails continued.

Shadow avoided his gaze, turning his head away. “I don’t need to be talked down to from an eight year old,” he replied huffily.

“See?” Tails shook his head. “That’s just what I’m talking about.”

Silence.

“Tails…this is who I am. If you and the others can’t accept my nature, then that’s your problem,” Shadow broke it. Rather coldly, too.

Tails sighed, beginning to walk away. “It would be nice if you returned our kindness…” he mumbled, barely loud enough to hear, but Shadow caught it.

However, before the ebon hedgehog got a chance to retort, Tails was out the door, gone.

A heavy weight fell on Shadow’s heart. At least, that’s what it felt like. He had only felt guilt before once in his life.

If what he was feeling right now wasn’t guilt, it was sure darn close.

Shadow sighed, closing his eyes. Why do I feel so guilty?! he questioned himself.

And yet, he knew the answer to his inquiry. It was because Sonic had saved his life, and yet when he was in need of care, Shadow had done nothing. Perhaps…perhaps I can help him… he thought. But it will be so unlike me. What would I say?

Maybe there wasn’t anything needed to be said.

Shadow opened his eyes. Why does life have to be so confusing? he thought, agitated.

“Mr. Shadow the Hedgehog?” a nurse asked as she entered the room.

Shadow’s head snapped towards her.

“You are free to go, sir,” the woman gave a slight bow, before leaving.

Right on cue… he thought as he jumped off the hospital bed.

And with that, Shadow left the building at a brisk pace, knowing exactly where he was going to go first.

-

“Sonic, eat it!!!” Tails urged, holding out a spoonful of chicken noodle soup.

“NO!” the blue hedgehog exclaimed, pulling the covers over his sweaty head.

The two-tailed fox sighed. “You have to eat something! You haven’t eaten anything for three days!!”

“That’s not true!” the muffled reply came. “I’ve eaten some crackers and drank some…” -a shudder- “…water. So you can’t say I didn’t eat anything!”

“Fine! You ate SOMETHING, but barely anything!” Tails informed.

“I’m just not hungry, Tails! Maybe later!” Sonic told him.

Tails sighed. “Fine…” With that, the young kitsune stood up, taking the bowl of soup with him. He walked over to the bedroom doorway, head hung, until he saw something obscuring his way.

Puzzled, he looked up to see a familiar black and red hedgehog…

“Shadow!” Tails gasped. “What’re you—“

“Coming to repay some kindness that I’ve been given,” Shadow interrupted. His crimson eyes looked at the uneaten bowl of soup. “Mind if I try?”

Tails stared in shock at the ebony one before him. Finally, he shook his head from his trance, blinking his baby blue eyes as if coming back to reality. He then gave a hurried shrug. “Go ahead. But Sonic’s stubborn…”

Shadow chuckled. “I, if anyone, would know that.” Then, the ebony one took the dish from the fox’s hands, and walked over towards the bedside, where the bed sheets still covered a healing blue hedgehog.

Tails gave a faint smile, eyes following Shadow, before leaving the room and shutting the door behind him.

Once Shadow sat down, it was as if Sonic had heard him, for he suddenly exclaimed, “I told you, Tails! I’m not hungry!”

The dark hedgehog smirked. “I’m not Tails.”

Suddenly, the covers lifted, and out peeked the head of Sonic, fur still slightly matted from sweat.

His emerald eyes opened wide with surprise. “But…what…?”

“I’ve heard you just broke your fever not too long ago, but you haven’t eaten anything. I’m here to change that,” Shadow told the blue one, the smirk still on his face.

Sonic scowled at his rival. “But if you hang around me, you’re gonna get sick again, Shadow. You’re immune system must still be—“

“Healing? I thought I told you I didn’t get sick,” Shadow continued smirking. He was enjoying always knowing something more than his doppelganger did.

“But then how could you’ve gotten mathosulomia?” Sonic asked, as if challenging him to answer that question.

“Easy. I was open to the bacteria that would infect someone with that disease long before my immune system developed enough to be able to fight off anything. Now, nothing can make me sick. Things from the past can, however. Lucky for me, that’s the only thing I can get sick from, since I wasn’t in contact with any other bacteria,” Shadow explained.

Sonic frowned. “But…”

“Is it really that hard to believe that I’m trying to help you, hedgehog?” Shadow asked, eyebrow raised.

A single nod was his response.

The ebony and scarlet hedgehog chuckled. “Things change.” And with that, he turned to grab the bowl of soup.

Instantly, Sonic’s head was once again covered with the bed sheet. “I’ve told Tails this, and I’m going to tell you this, Shadow: I’m. Not. Hungry.”

“You’re going to be,” Shadow replied, placing the bowl back down again.

The crimson-streaked hedgehog stood up, before ripping the covers back so Sonic’s upper half was revealed. The blue hedgehog whined, clawing for the warmth of the covers.

“No,” Shadow scolded through clenched teeth. He grabbed Sonic by both of his forearms, pushing him back on the bed. “Not until you eat the soup.”

“But I’m not hungry!!” Sonic struggled against the strong grip in vain.

“Do you want to stay sick?” Shadow asked. “If not, then eat the darn soup!”

Sonic didn’t reply, just kept struggling.

“What is so bad about eating a liquid, Sonic?” Shadow asked. “It’s not gonna kill ya!”

The squirming stopped, and the azure hedgehog looked at the ultimate lifeform who still held him down to the bed.

“Well…?”

“I’m just not hungry, Shadow. I don’t wanna eat anything,” Sonic replied, avoiding eye contact. He had just recently admitted to himself he liked Shadow. Although his mind protested with all his strength against that fact, his heart wouldn’t deny it. And his heart was always stronger than his logic.

“You have to eat something!” Shadow growled.

“Since when did you suddenly care?” Sonic snapped, turning back to his secret crush.

The obsidian one rolled his eyes. “We’ve been through this. Things change.”

Sonic sighed, turning his head away again. “I’m just not hungry.”

“Stop making things difficult, Sonic. Eat the soup,” Shadow urged, sitting back. His hands left Sonic’s forearms, as he then reached for the bowl. “Please.”

Sonic’s head snapped towards Shadow, eyes wide with surprise. Did he…did he just say ‘please’?

The ebony one looked at Sonic, crimson locking with emerald.

“For me, Sonic. Please,” Shadow spoke softly.

Sonic could only stare, completely bewildered. This was nothing—I repeat, NOTHING—like the old Shadow.

“Who are you and what have you done with the real Ultimate Lifeform?” Sonic asked, eyes still wide.

The obsidian hedgehog chuckled. “I’m pretty sure it’s me, Sonic.”

“But…this…” Sonic paused for a moment, as if to straighten out his mind. “Why are you suddenly being so nice?”

Slowly, their gazes locked once more. “I…I don’t like to see you this way, Sonic. Look at you…you look like you’ve barely eaten anything, which is true from what I’ve heard. And you’re weak, which doesn’t suit you.”

Sonic furrowed his eyebrows, before pulling the bed sheet up to cover himself up to his shoulders. “Is this just a guilt-thing?”

“No…” Shadow chuckled, before he thought for a moment. “It used to be. But now it isn’t.”

“Why?” Sonic asked, turning on his side to observe the obsidian visitor. His heart was hoping with a false hope that Shadow would admit he liked him. But that wasn’t possible, now, was it? Especially since the onyx one had made it clear earlier that he didn’t like the accidental kiss.

Shadow rolled his eyes. “Did you think that even though I’ve told you so much already, I was going to continue to do so?”

“It would be nice,” Sonic frowned.

Shadow stared sternly at Sonic for the longest time, until he finally couldn’t suppress a smirk.

Wait…what?

Why did Sonic make him smirk—especially when he was trying to be firm with him? He had always been able to hide his expressions before…why could he suddenly not do so? I hate my confusing life… Shadow thought angrily.

“Just eat the soup, Sonic…” the crimson-streaked one finally said.

Sonic sighed. There went that hope… He turned around on his bed. “I’m not hungry.”

“What did I do now?” Shadow asked. This was beginning to get on his nerves.

Sonic sighed, shaking his head. “You didn’t do anything. I’m just not hungry.”

There was a pause.

“You’re mad at me,” Shadow finally said.

Sonic turned to him. “No I’m not.”

“Then why does your voice have a tint of anger?” Shadow asked, raising an eyebrow, and crossing his arms over his chest.

“I…” Sonic quickly thought up a lie. “I’m just frustrated from everyone trying to get me to eat something. I’m not hungry.”

“Then you don’t have to eat right now,” and with that, Shadow gently set the bowl back on the bed stand. “If you want, we can talk for a while. But I’m not leaving until you eat that soup.”

Sonic gritted his teeth. That stubborn, defiant ebony hedgehog…

And yet, he liked those qualities about Shadow. He couldn’t deny it. The azure one admired his counterpart’s strong will and determined mind.

A sigh escaped his peach lips. “Fine…” he turned back around in the bed to face Shadow. “What do you want to talk about?”

“Well…what’s on your mind?” Shadow sat back, arms crossed over his chest.

He just HAD to ask that question, didn’t he? Sonic thought. The fact was: Shadow was what Sonic was thinking about. But he couldn’t tell the obsidian one that, now could he?

But Sonic never was good at love lives. He was never the guy for romance—always action and adventure; being on the run. But if that was so, then how could someone like Shadow have suddenly pushed him into the confusing game of love?

“Sonic…?” Shadow asked.

The hero then shook his head from his thoughts. “I’m fine…just thinking…”

“That’s a first,” the ultimate life form retorted with a smirk.

Sonic frowned, turning around in his bed. Shadow then furrowed his eyebrows. Sonic shouldn’t have reacted like that at all. It was merely a joke—not at all different from the others he had told his rival.

“Sonic, something’s wrong. Tell me what’s bothering you,” the black hedgehog finally commanded.

Sonic furrowed his eyebrows, frown deepening, and setting his jaw shut. He wouldn’t tell Shadow. Imagine what would happen if he did!

Shadow growled, standing up from his chair. “Sonic, if you don’t tell me what’s bothering you, I will force this soup down your throat without mercy. Tell me now.”

The ultimate life form hated being left in the dark. If something was being hidden from him, he would go to extremes in order to figure out what it was.

“You don’t understand!” Sonic whined.

“And why not?” Shadow barked.

Sonic tossed. “I can’t tell you, Shadow! I just—I just can’t!”

“You will tell me now!” Shadow growled, grabbing the speed demon’s wrists to hold him still and look him in the eyes.

“NO!” Sonic closed his emerald eyes shut, not wanting to look into the priceless crimson ones that bored into his now-closed eyelids. His secret would be revealed by a single blush if their eyes met.

Why wasn’t Sonic looking at him…? The only conclusion Shadow could come up with was that whatever Sonic was hiding from him—it was something about him, himself.

“It’s about me, isn’t it?” Shadow asked.

Sonic’s eyes flared open with surprise, and exactly what he didn’t want happening, happened. His cheeks formed a light shade of pink—but it was noticeable, especially at their close range.

And then, all of a sudden, in the single change of color in Sonic’s muzzle, everything clicked in Shadow’s brain. He didn’t think it was true…he had even joked about it earlier…but now…

“You…like me…?” Shadow was breathless at first.

Sonic whimpered, closing his eyes, and bracing himself for the worst.

Unfortunately, something close to the worst happened.

Suddenly, the blue one was shoved to his side roughly, Shadow’s grip on his wrists released.

“You’re disgusting!” the standing anti-hero exclaimed. “And to think—the world’s greatest hero is gay!”

Sonic cringed, curling up into a ball.

“What until the press hear about this! Next thing you know, you’re gonna be one of the most rejected people on this planet!” Shadow ranted angrily. “I-“

The ebony one turned around, not sure what to say. Why wasn’t he beating Sonic up? Why did he feel…sorry for the hero? Shadow turned back around slowly, his anger quelled down.

There, on the bed, was Sonic, still curled up like a ball, but trembling like a leaf.

It was unnerving to know someone liked you, but it was even more unnerving to know that it was someone of the same sex.

Shadow turned to leave. The sooner he got out of here, the better.

But as he laid his hand on the doorknob, he couldn’t help but feel…compassionate for the blue one. Crimson eyes stared at the golden surface of the knob, debating what he should do. He stood there for a long, long time…until finally, his hand fell from the golden handle, and he turned back around to face Sonic, whose face was still hidden by his knees.

Silently, he walked back to the bedside. His gloved hand reached out to the blue quills, before softly stroking the head spines. A sniffle of confusion was his response, and soon, Sonic’s head peeped out fearfully from its hiding place. Green eyes looked up at him, as if waiting for a sudden attack.

“What…what are you doing?” Sonic asked quietly.

“I’m keeping my promise,” Shadow replied gently—which was a first for him.

“But you hate me, now…” Sonic’s voice cracked.

The ultimate life form then reached out with both hands, cupping the hero’s head, and lightly turning it to face him.

“Don’t judge me, hedgehog. You don’t know what I think, so don’t try to act like you do…” Shadow said softly with a smirk.

Sonic stared at him for a moment, before asking, “Well…then what do you think of me now?”

“I think you’re just someone who needs to be cared for…” Shadow smirked gently at the cobalt hedgehog. “You cared for me in my time of need, so why can’t I do the same?”

“But then it would just be a guilt-thing. It wouldn’t mean anything—“

“Would you rather not have my care?” Shadow asked with a raised eyebrow.

Sonic didn’t reply to that.

“Listen, Sonic…” the GUN agent continued. “I may be a lot of bad things, but one thing I’m not is unreasonable. I understand you like me, so all my beating you up won’t do anything, will it?”

Sonic gave a slight shake of the head.

“So…I came up with the way out of this situation that was best…” Shadow smirked gently.

“A-and what’s that…?” the hero was almost afraid of the answer.

But to his surprise, his answer was a soft, tender kiss. Sonic’s wide eyes slowly closed, enjoying the kiss; his mind too busy accepting that Shadow was kissing him to figure out why Shadow was kissing him.

But soon, the moment of bliss was over, and Sonic reopened his eyes.

“…to accept that you like me, and return the feeling,” Shadow answered verbally.

“But…why?” Sonic asked, breathless.

“Because I care for you…just like you do me…and I know that if you were in my shoes, you’d do the exact same thing,” Shadow answered.

A pause. “But…why?”

The mysterious ebony hedgehog just chuckled. “Must there be a reason for all my kind deeds?”

“But its so unlike you! I mean…you don’t act this way towards anybody…why—“

A gentle finger was laid on the peach lips, silencing the azure.

“Stop asking questions—or you’ll make things more complicated than they already are,” Shadow smirked. “Just accept it.”

Sonic stared deeply into the crimson orbs, before slowly smiling. “Okay…thanks, Shadow…”

The ebony one smirked. “Don’t mention it.”

Sonic nodded, his smile ever widening.

“Now…as for that soup…”

Dark blue sheets were suddenly pulled over a lighter shade of blue’s head at the mention of the liquid.

Shadow just chuckled.

“Nice try…”

And once again, the room was filled with sounds of struggles and shouts from the two once-rivaling hedgehogs.

THE END

Disclaimer: I do not own Sonic, Shadow, Tails, or any other related characters. All of them belong to SEGA. The disease “mathosulomia” is a made-up disease based off of the real one called “mesothelioma”.
This story archived at http://www.sonadow.com/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=553