Shadows of the Past by Eternal Hedgehog
Summary: Ok! I don't know if I can do this or not if no then please tell me and I'll take it down.

Crossover: YGO and SonicX, Puzzleshipping and Sonadow! This takes place after YuGiOh! ends. We all know that Shadow was created by Professor Gerald Robotnik, but why is he the way he is? What made him the way he is?

There will be lemons later!
Categories: Sonadow Characters: Shadow x Sonic
Genres: None
Warnings: Sex
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 3503 Read: 8780 Published: July 04, 2007 Updated: July 07, 2007

1. Prologue: His creation by Eternal Hedgehog

2. Chapter One: His Past, Fifty Years of Sleep, and a Reunion by Eternal Hedgehog

Prologue: His creation by Eternal Hedgehog
Author's Notes:
Ok! This is on ff.net also... Anyway...
Disclaimer: I don't own any of them. Please enjoy and don't forget to review!
000000

High above the Earth the creation of the ‘Ultimate Life Form’ was nearing its creation. The creator of this amazing creature had searched long and hard to find just the right soul for his creation. He had dubbed it Project Shadow: Shadow the Hedgehog. It hadn’t been until the year before that he had finally found, what he hoped at least, was the right soul.

"Is it finished Grandfather?" asked a teenaged girl.

"Just about, little one..." Gerald chuckled, carefully putting the last finishing touches on his most incredible creation. Gerald smiled thoughtfully. "Now, my greatest creation, you lack only the true spark of life...all you require...is a soul." He paused, carefully reaching out to a vial created from an unearthly material. Within it glowed the dark and reddish essence of a powerful soul...one tainted with darkness, yet in it, was a strange light... He hesitated, not knowing what this experiment would lead to, but...for the good of mankind, he pressed on. "Now, my creation...live." And in this being, the black Hedgehog Shadow, he placed life.

Maria looked at the vial. "Do you know whose soul you used?" she asked as Shadow began to awaken.

Gerald watched his creation carefully. "I believe, my dear, that it was the soul of a powerful and noble hero who lived long ago..." And, as an after though, Gerald mentally added 'And I pray I am not mistaken... Yet, a soul of this magnitude was necessary to bring my creation to life...'

"You mean like one of the people that were part of the strange happenings on Earth a few years ago? Or do you mean a Pharaoh?" Maria was curious.

Gerald frowned. "Well, that...is the puzzling thing of it, my dear. Science knows so little on the supernatural, as they are like friends that seldom meet...but, from all I can gather...this soul was indeed that of an ancient king… And yet..."

"And yet?" she prompted.

Gerald sighed and focused on Shadow. "And yet, this soul has been active very recently or...so it appears, from what I can tell...it has actually taken some...form or another, though I do not know how."

"Maybe the soul belonged to the legendary "Nameless Pharaoh"?" Maria wondered aloud.

Gerald chuckled. "My dear child, don't believe all the stories you hear..."

"But I just love the story of the 'Nameless One' it would be so... poetic if that were his soul!" she exclaimed. Maria looked back at the container when she heard movement inside.

"Well," Gerald chuckled, almost not noticing, "I don't think much of such stories, little one...but you can ask him yourself, I suppose. And there he is now." Gerald murmured, getting ready to free his creation.

"I hope he remembers." said Maria. Maria pressed the button to open the container. "Hello Shadow! I'm Maria."

"Sha...dow...?" The other asked, eyes blinking through the mental haze. "Who's...shadow? Is...is that my name? N...no...wait...I..." He groaned softly again and tried to get out of the strange thing he was in. ...Only to fall back him, learning that his arms didn't feel like moving just now.

Maria helped him get out. "You are Shadow."

The hedgehog's dark eyes blinked thoughtfully. "I...am?" He nodded slowly. "Okay..." He muttered... "What am I doing here?"

"What is the last thing you remember? My Grandfather created you for the benefit of mankind..."

"Created?" Shadow echoed, confused. "But..." He frowned deeply. "I...remember..." He tried very hard, thinking until his brain hurt..."A...face. I think. Something...I...I don't know...it's too hazy. And...a name. N...no...a...a title. 'Nameless one'" He sighed. "I don't remember anything else, though. My head hurts so much."

Gerald laughed. "Well, well, Maria...perhaps you were correct."

Maria grinned.

"Correct?" Shadow asked, feeling more confused than ever. He felt...strange...then his legs decided they didn't appreciate all the work they were doing and went on strike, making him collapse. "Oww..."

"Yeah, Grandfather created your body and then had to find a soul. I was telling him just before you woke up that it would be poetic if the soul he found belonged to the 'Nameless One' and I was right, as usual..."

"Soul...nameless one..." Shadow hung his head, feeling suddenly exhausted. "...I...I don't understand."

"You don't have too."

Gerald smiled. "It appears our new friend here could use some rest, my dear. Perhaps you could help him to the room we made for him?"

Maria smiled. "Of course Grandfather." She helped Shadow get back up and led him from the room. 1

"Thanks." Shadow murmured softly, sighing.

"It's ok, get some rest Shadow."

"Okay...oh, wait. Umm...what's your name?" Shadow asked, his eyelids slowly drifting shut.

"Maria." Came the quiet reply. "Good night Shadow."

"G...night..." Shadow yawned. As shadow slept, dreams and visions plagued his tired mind and he tossed and turned, whispering soundlessly in his sleep to phantoms unknown...

Over the next year Shadow and Maria became friends. Shadow grew fond of the girl in a sister/brother sort of way... And, though he could not help being depressed over his lack of memories, her presence helped…

00000
Chapter One: His Past, Fifty Years of Sleep, and a Reunion by Eternal Hedgehog
Author's Notes:
Ok! Here's hoping this doesn't get deleted...
Disclaimer: I don't own them.
A year later Maria was pulling Shadow down a hallway in the Ark. "Hurry Shadow! We have to get out of here!"

Shadow yelped as he nearly hit a wall while being dragged by the surprisingly strong girl. He raised an eyebrow, concerned and confused. "Why? What's wrong?"

"The government killed everyone but Grandfather and us last night; Grandfather told me that you and I should get out of here. By the sound of it he wanted us both to live! On come on! You're slowing us down!" Maria panted as she said this.

Shadow's eyes widened and he immediately picked up the pace, instantly reversing their roles and dragging her instead, trying to get them both to safety.

"Stop right there!" They heard someone shout behind them.

Maria looked back. "Keep going Shadow! It's them!"

Shadow growled and tried to pick up the pace, as if trying to leave a trail of smoke in his wake... He darted around a corner and ran harder, ignoring his burning lungs which had never been abused like this before...

They heard a gunshot and Maria gasped as she was hit.

Shadow's running stopped short...and so did his heart... "Maria!"

"No Shadow! Don't stop! We have to keep going! I have to get you out of here!" Maria urged, pushing him weakly.

Shadow's wide, blazing eyes quickly glanced up at the soldiers and then down the bleeding girl. He grabbed her and ran, pushing his limits as hard as he knew how. 'Hold on, Maria...please...'

When they got to the right room Maria walked to the computer.

"Maria...are you...okay?" Shadow asked, scared for her.

"I'll be fine." She began to type at the computer. "Almost finished, You'll be out of here in no time." She was getting weaker.

"Me?" Shadow asked, getting upset. "Don't you mean, us? What about you?! You're not fine...you...you're hurt..."

As Shadow got to the middle of the room something came down around him. "Promise me something Shadow... promise me... that you'll give the people of Earth a chance... to be... Happy..." Those were her final words to him and that was the last he saw of her as the pod he was in jettisoned from the Ark.

"Maria! NOOOO!" But it was far, far too late...

00000

The next day Yugi found a pod.

From within the pod, a small form shifted and made a soft, pained moan...

"Are you ok?" Yugi slid down to the pod and opened it. Yugi lifted the Hedgehog gently, and gasped. This was the strangest hedgehog he'd ever seen! "Are you a hedgehog even? You're the strangest one I've ever seen, or heard for that matter... Wait. Who's ever heard a hedgehog before?" Yugi babbled as he climbed out of the crater the pod had created, being careful not to jostle the animal in his arms too much.

The black hedgehog dazedly looked up at the face of the human, not even able to make out the shape... "I...I don't know...but...M-maria...she..." Another tired groan.

"Shh... Don't talk, I'll take care of you..." Yugi whispered.

The hedgehog sighed and obeyed, going limp in the human's arms.

00000

Shadow came to with Yugi standing over him. "I've done as much as I can, are you feeling better. How many fingers do you see?" Yugi asked.

Shadow blinked wearily and cocked his head to the side. "Uh...erm...three?" He asked. "...And thank you..."

"It's fine, I was happy I could help you... what's your name, and who's Maria?" Yugi looked concerned.

"I'm Shadow." The hedgehog said softly, "That's what the doctor named me...and...Maria..." The hedgehog looked around helplessly, just praying that maybe...but no. "She's my friend. My only friend...did...did you see another pod?" He asked, eyes pleading with the human.

“No... I didn't... I'm sorry..." Yugi looked at the hedgehog more closely and saw the colors of his fur for the first time. He gasped. "What happened before I found you?"

The hedgehog didn't even hear the question. His gaze fell to the floor and his hands clenched into tight fists. "It's all my fault...if only I had been faster...I could have saved her! It's my fault..."

"N-now don't jump to conclusions Shadow..." 'He looks kind of like Yami-chan...' "I'm sure she's fine..." Yugi put his hand under Shadow's chin and made the hedgehog look at him.

Shadow's dark, tear-filled eyes met Yugi's and he felt...calmer, somehow. This person seemed so...so kind. He nodded. "Maybe...maybe you're right. B-but...she was hurt." His gaze fell. "Really bad. I..." He choked up a little and, not really knowing why, suddenly threw himself into the human's arms.

Yugi froze when he saw Shadow's ruby-red eyes. 'He-he has Yami-chan's eyes...' He was surprised, but, after a moment put his arms around the obviously distraught hedgehog. "It'll be ok..."

"Y-yeah..." The hedgehog replied softly, exhaling and feeling better. "I...I'm sorry...I didn't mean t...I..." A blush formed on the creature's face and he pulled away shyly.

Yugi had tears in his eyes now, but smiled. "It's ok... I lost someone very dear to me as well... it was about a year ago now, I don't really know what to do... I've been in a kind of limbo since he left..." Yugi looked away, a tear falling from his eye.

Shadow nodded, understanding and smiled sadly back. He gently wiped another one of Yugi's tears away. "I'm sorry..." Overcoming his shyness, he gave Yugi a hug. "It'll be okay." He echoed Yugi's previous statement.

Yugi just cried, almost forgetting that this was Shadow, not Yami. "I-I miss him so-o m-much... My Nameless Pharaoh, Atemu..."

"Nameless...phar...aoh...?" Shadow echoed, remembering his awakening. "...Why...why does that sound familiar?"

Yugi froze. Y-Yami?" he asked, pulling away and looking into the other's eyes.

The hedgehog paused, then laughed. "I said my name was Shadow...not darkness… There...is a difference..."

Yugi began crying again. "All I want is to have my Y-Yami-chan back..."

Shadow felt a wave of panic as Yugi cried. He needed to comfort him. "Uh...h-hey..." He hugged Yugi again, rubbing his back. "It's okay...shh..."

"No it's not! It'll never be ok!" Yugi pulled away. //I WANT HIM BACK!//

Shadow fell back onto the couch at the force of Yugi's actions and the shock of the voice he heard. "H-how...how did you...just speak in...my head?" Shadow asked, eyes widening in fear. He backed away from Yugi warily.

Yugi looked at Shadow, surprised, and then began to cry again. "Yami-chan... I'm sorry..." He whispered. //I just want my pharaoh back... is that to much to ask for?//

"A...ano...n-no?" Shadow replied, still a bit scared of this person who could speak in his mind. "H-how do you...keep doing that? Why is your voice in my head?"

//M-my be-beloved a-and I-I hade a-a l-link that con-connect-ed our m-minds...//

Shadow backed away a little more, still eyeing Yugi suspiciously. "But...what does that have to do with me?" He wanted to ask ask Yugi to stop because it was freaking him out, and yet...he couldn't bring himself to...something...something about it calmed him, even if it was weird...

//If you can hear me... then... Somehow... You must be... My Pharaoh... You must be...//

"P-pharaoh?" Shadow shook his head. "But, I'm not Yami. I'm not even a human! How...how could I be..." He eyed Yugi again, confused and lost, but... "I..."

"I-I can feel it now... you-you have his soul..." Yugi put a hand over his heart. "I never got to tell..."

"His...soul?" Shadow echoed, looking down at his hands thoughtfully, as if to examine his entire being. "..." //What is this, I feel...?//

//I... never got to tell him, how much... I loved him...//

//L-love?// Shadow asked, his heart beating faster. //Aibou...//

//You...you love me, aibou?// The mental voice had changed. It was still Shadow and yet...it was...Yami...

Yugi looked up. //Yami?// His voice was hopeful. //Yes, yes I do, but I could never find the courage or the right moment to tell you, and then you had to leave... Why did you choose to leave?//

//Oh, aibou...I never wanted to leave you. Beautiful aibou, precious one, I never wanted us to say goodbye...I had to go, aibou. You...I thought you'd be better off with out me...//

//Would you have stayed if you knew?//

Yami/Shadow's answer came instantly, filled with the most sincerity and conviction he had in his whole being. //I would have moved heaven and earth to be with you, aibou. I love you too.//

//Oh... Yami-chan!//

Yami looked down at his tiny body and chuckled softly. //Though, I wish I could have returned to you in...better conditions.//

//I know...// Yugi was about to hug Shadow/Yami when they heard a loud crash from down stairs. //What was that?//

//Oh no...// Shadow/Yami's eyes widened. //Gods, I hope it's not them...they...if they're still after me...// Yami looked up at Yugi determinedly. //I can't let them hurt you, love.//

Yugi had just opened the fire escape when they burst in.

"Go, aibou." Yami urged, in the back of his mind, thinking on the likely possibility of sacrificing himself for Yugi...

Yugi pushed Shadow out the window as another shot rang out. //Go Yami! Go! I'll... be... o-// Yugi died as he said this.

//AIBOU! NO!// This time, Yami did not turn. He did not run. Enraged by his aibou's death, he attacked the man who shot his aibou in a blind rage, not caring about his small stature or unfamiliar body...

Yugi's last tear fell into Shadow's hand as he passed his Aibou's corpse.

Yami ripped apart the man who dared harm his aibou, his eyes blazing with furious hellfire. He would have killed everyone in the room... One of the soldiers grabbed an arm.

The more beast than human creature tried to wrench away angrily. "LET ME GO!" He thundered furiously.

Another guard grabbed his other arm.

"I'll kill you...all of you...you killed my AIBOU!" The creature screamed, struggling and fighting wildly, too blind with anger to even act sensibly enough to free himself.

The started to drag him out of his Aibou's apartment.

"Aibou! AIBOU!" He screamed, like an echo of the day the oricalcos took Yugi from him. In his palm lay Yugi's last tear, which he clutched like a lifeline... The two guards threw him into another container. Shadow banged furiously on the lid.

The tear he was clutching like a lifeline started to change. He looked down and gasped. It looked like a small emerald, but it was growing.

They turned on the cryo-freeze, to put Shadow to sleep. As Shadow eyes slid shut and the part of him that was Yami retreated in the agony of a torn soul, he clutched to his heart the gem of his aibou's last tear...the chaos emerald...

00000

-Fifty years later-

Doctor Ivo Eggman forced his way into the chamber Shadow was frozen in.

Within it, the mind-wiped black hedgehog stirred and the life within him pulsed strong.

Dr. Eggman punched in the password that would release the military's secret weapon. Up came the pod that craddled shadows body, ready to release the power within... the pod shattered half-way up revealing the still enraged hedgehog. Eggman took a step back.

Shadow rose from the container, feeling an all consuming hatred, yet he did not know what for...he remembered something...the face of...a girl? He did not know. All he knew was that some anger...perhaps vengeance...must now govern his destiny...

"You here to stop me again Sonikku? Wait... you're not Sonikku, who are you?"

This...man...seemed familiar. Yes. Maybe he could explain this fury...Shadow smiled grimly.

Eggman back up upon seeing the rage in the unknown hedgehog's eyes.

The hedgehog chuckled mirthlessly. "My name is Shadow and you are my new master... I will grant you one wish."

"You must prove yourself first." said Eggman as a government weapon burst in.

When Shadow saw the robot his fury tripled. "Very well, master...let me show you my true power!" The hedgehog cracked his knuckles and his eyes blazed. "CHAOS BLAST!"

His agony ridden and torn soul reveled in the destruction of the machine. He smirked at the sight of the smoldering wreckage.

In the darkest corner of the soul room, Yami laughed evilly. //I'll kill them all for what they've done to me, and Yugi...//

Eggman was kind of creeped out. "Well done Shadow! Let's go."

Shadow jumped down from the platform and silently followed, his rage having cooled, if only by a little...

Meanwhile Sonikku was running from the military. //Man, what did I do?// Sonikku wondered. //Still, I can't let them catch me...//

"Don't let him get away! We have to catch that hedgehog!" The leader of the group bellowed.

Sonikku looked back. //I'm the good guy! Why in the name of Ra are they chasing me?//

However, his mental inquiries were only answered by the shouts of soldiers and the blasts of weapons. Sonikku growled and finally shook them off, after beating up a robot. Sonikku sighed in relief. Sonikku looked up when he heard footsteps above him.

"He looks... like me. Maybe they are after him and mistook me for..." Sonikku muttered.

//A blue hedgehog? Well…well…// Shadow thought, raising an eyebrow. Something immediately drew his interest, but he didn’t know what. His rage died down for some…strange reason. He felt…he didn’t know. He frowned.

Sonikku blinked. //What the...?//

//He's...kinda cute...// Shadow thought, with a raised eyebrow.

Sonikku blushed. //I'm... cute? Who are you?// Sonikku asked silently.

Shadow hadn't expected his thought to be heard and was caught off guard, but didn't let himself slip. He chuckled darkly. //I am Shadow...and...you?// He asked, in a low purr...

Sonkku's blush deepened. //I'm Sonikku...//

In the Soul room Yami's eyes widened. "Aibou..."

//Sonikku...// Shadow tested with another deep chuckle. //Mmm...// A part of him desperately wanted to stay with this adorable creature...and yet, he had business elsewhere...and he was torn.

Sonikku heard sirens. //Darn...//

"Shadow!" Blared a walkie talkie Shadow was carrying. "Where are you?!" Shadow scowled and picked it up. "I'm coming..." He muttered.

Sonikku looked up, somehow, sad to see Shadow leave.

However, the black hedgehog suddenly paused and, taking another glance at Sonikku, he smirked. "It appears we both have things to do, but before I go..." His eyes sparked mischievously as he found an excellent use for his precious chaos emerald...

Sonikku blinked.

"Chaos control." Shadow said with a grin and then darted up to Shadow, released time long enough to kiss Sonikku on the cheek...then used his emerald again to get a good distance away. "Later, Sonikku..."

Sonikku was frozen in place, and put his hand on said cheek. The cops caught up with Sonikku while he was frozen.

Shadow, meanwhile, was both grinning with pride and kicking himself for the distraction, but the part that was grinning hog-tied the kicking part and threw it in a closet.

Shadow paused in his sprint back to Dr. Eggman. He scowled darkly. 'I don't know why, but...I know there's something wrong. I have to go back! I have to help!' He turned around and ran full tilt back to Sonikku, his inner Yami cheering and so was the side that said that kiss was waaaaay too short.

Sonikku was being shoved into a lab on Prison Island, and there were only twenty minutes before it blew up.

Shadow felt his rage build as he heard this information transmitted. 'Sonikku...' He thought, clenching a fist angrily. 'Forget about Eggman...they'll pay for taking MY Sonikku...!' Shadow didn't know where the sudden possessiveness had come from, and frankly, at the moment, he didn't care. He ran across the time-frozen waves to prison Island, grim determination on his face. 'Hold on, Sonikku...'

Sonikku was roughly placed onto a table and strapped down.

Shadow instinctively ran faster, busting through the heavy metal gates with a single chaos blast. He threw the guards aside like worthless rag dolls. 'Sonikku...where are you?'

//Shadow...// Sonikku called in his subconscious.

//Sonikku...hang on...I'm going to get you out of here…//

00000
This story archived at http://www.sonadow.com/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=584