Sonadow
SonicXShadow
Edge of insanity: by Anomalous123

[Reviews - 10]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The passage of time was a fickle thing. Sometimes, hours felt like days while hours felt like minutes. Once, he never seemed to have enough of it. Always working on projects, talking with his grandfather over midnight caffeine boosters as they tried to fight off sleep. There never seemed to be enough hours in the day to get everything done.

Now, the passage of time seemed to time its time. Every second was agonisingly slow as he waited for himself to get old and, eventually, die. It was an evitable event and he found himself pondered over countless times, laying in bed and staring at the metal walls that encased him. The thought drove him made. He didn't want to die- who does?- but there was nothing he could do about it.

He had lost his purpose. Lost his sanity. He was a former version of himself, a lifeless doll that dully completed the meaningless task day in and out like the rest of the sheep that made up the majority of the human race. It would have disgusted him if he was able to muster up the energy to argue against his new reality.

But that what it was now a reality. A bleak experience left in the shadows of another government-lead disaster and far away dreams.

It was not like he could follow his grandfather's legacy. To recreate and improve the original designs. The research had been burnt along with the bodies of those who occupied his previous home. The once advanced space station; left abandoned amongst the stars. A true fairytale and myths for the select few that was slowly diminishing.

He couldn't let that happen. Not when people were counting on him. He couldn't let their deaths be in vain. So, with determination in his thoughts and a heavy heart in his chest, he clambered out of bed, dragging his broken form across to the bathroom in freshen up.

There was a way out of this bleak and monotonous life. One way to leave the shadows and take revenge on the organisation and be reunited with what was his, yet he was reluctant to go through with it. Abounding who he was until the time comes was always hard ones mental health. It caused an identity crisis at best, insanity at worst. But, he was determined. He wouldn't lose himself.

He could do this for the ones he loved.

Lifting his head, dark eyes glanced in the mirror, wincing at the ghost of his former self. Maybe this form was already dead? It would make sense. Maybe he died back on the arc when his world was shot or dragged away, screaming for help that would never come. His form was now an empty shell, awaiting a purpose and a new identity.

Ivo Robotnick died in the fire and lost dreams; left to be reborn. Remodelled into this new form.

While the old him was a coward who lived in a world of expectations and broken promises, the new him will raise up, reforming the world into his own image.

A better one where people like Maria wouldn't have to suffer as she did.

A world where creativity wouldn't be shunned and creations can run free.

No matter how long it would take, he would build this world.

For him.

For them.

And for his son.

______________________________________________

She was pretty, rich, and single. A perfect target for someone who is looking for a quick climb to the top of the social chain. His ticket to power.

Fresh out of an abusive relationship, the young women was easily charmed by this amusing and clever man he moduled himself to be. Ovi Kintobor was the man of her dreams because he paid attention to her and made things interesting. He dressed well for a commoner, worked hard to ensure he could treat her and asked for little in return. He was a well-mannered young man who had the potential to be a great inventor.

For her birthday, he fashioned a one-of-its-kind bracelet that reminded her of her appointments and predicted the weather. She was thrilled with the present and accepted his proposal to a regular courting ritual.

Finally, he was invited back to one of the villas she resided in and it was everything he expected.

His crimes were simple at first.

He tinkered with the expensive cars and her alarm systems, making sure his 'soon-to-be finance' was safe. Little did she know he creating his own tracking system to her family's movements. It made it easier to sneak into her grandfather's company and to steal supplies for his projects. To steal small fortunes that wouldn't be missed.

Then the parents pressed for when he was going to pop the question and things started to go south.

They invited him to elegant parties, fancy dinners, family meetings, and a holiday. He spent less and less time away from the women and her family, resulting in a lower income. The family knew someone was stealing from the company account but didn't know who. He couldn't afford the stuck-up life anymore, so he knew something had to change and soon.

By this time, he had managed to create an underground laboratory on the in the next town over and knew it was time to cut his ties and flee.

So, he faked his death a week after, making sure to leave clues to the scene. A simple kidnapped and murder. He crafted a set of realistic bones and set them alight, making sure to burn them beyond recognition of the technology of the time and dumped the 'body' in the river.

A simple, yet effective method that left little questioning.

He hid for a while in the woods, making sure no evidence was left behind of his existence.

Luckily, there was none.

Soon, he was able to head the expensive suit and left the high life behind.

________________________________

Isolated and alone within the safety of his bunker, he became obsessed with his work. Insomnia and horrific thoughts crept back into the spotlight, leaving him evidently depressed. The rush from the criminal life had dulled to a throbbing in his head, itching for action but never receiving much.

He came focused on learning, spending day after day surrounded by books and his notes. His efforts became so desperate that he even looked at time travel, yet it seemed impossible to pressure. Next, his focus shifted to the multiverse theory. He had always dreamt about what would happen if all of them managed to escape ark, alive and together. The thought relighted his determination. His fantasies.

Surely, there was a universe out there that answered his prayers? If he couldn't get them back here, why shouldn't he look somewhere else? He had to try!

So, he did.

Night and days blurred together as he drew up blueprint after blueprint. Invention after invention... But, he could never get it right.

His anger grew.

Nothing was working. The equipment on the arc was far superior to those assessable here. His funds were limited and he lost his ticket to materials only attainable through governmental methods. It was beyond frustrating to have his brilliance shunned so rapidly.

He was never going to reach his goal at the rate.

He had to adapt.

_____________________________

Things continued to remain bleak. His hope dwelling into dust before fate decided to be merciful and one of GUN's henchmen stumbled over his humble abode. He jumped at the opportunity to catch the young man in his clutches. Overworked and underappreciated, the unsuspecting young man early jumped at the prospect of being his lab assistant.

He was a scientist who was shoved into the robotic decision of GUN where the position was available. While he was average in his knowledge of robotics in the past, he was mostly failed his degree and was deterred from the position. His position was that of a lowly intern, so this position was an upgrade into something he enjoyed.

The man was a new perspective on his work, finding flaws that didn't seem right within Ovi's equation. It got him to second guess some of the work that managed to nudge him on the right track.

Despite how helpful the young man was being, Ovi found it hard to be around him. His assistant was nosy and loud, always asking questions and was popular amongst the small town's civilians. It drove him crazy. The bubbling bafoon was attracting attention, claiming he was working on a project that 'benefit mankind.'

He guessed it was Ovi's fault. He lied to the young man, stating the project was revenloutnary development for the human race. It seemed a good lie of the time. He should have gotten rid of the guy before GUN came knocking. Apparently, in the extension of in town, he had been very vocal at work.

It was hard to hold himself back from straggling the smug bastard. The commander had strutted around his lab, demanding explanations and declaring the lab now GUN's property. The glare he gave the commander was venomous, ready to strike once his back was turned, yet he couldn't. The man held leverage, regardless of if the bastard knew it or not. He couldn't risk their lives just yet.

Instead, he put on a fake smile and nodded, secretly planning his murder. It would have been so simple; so easy to end his life.

Unfortunately- or fortunately- the visit was short and he was stuck again in the same position he was all those years ago back on the arc. This time he wasn't going to back down. He wasn't going to allow them to take his things.

So, that night, he activated the prototype and the last thing he knew, every cell in his body felt like it was on fire and he knew nothing more.

_____________________________

He missed it; living amongst the stars. It was so peaceful up there, in space, and a bit lonely. His family was his rock, his pride and joy... But now they were gone, leaving him to recommission about good times and to wallow in his nightmares and regret.

They didn't have to die; they could have survived! But they ignored him. Dismissed his warning as some crazy babblings. He wondered if things would have worked out differently if they just left when he said. The 'what if's' had haunted his thoughts, drove his nightmares.

He should have done more...!

The large human's form shook slightly as he stood in front of a set of doors that lead to the abandoned wing in his home. All his bases had them, regardless of how big or simplistic they been, and were always hidden from prying eyes. The rooms would always be the way; the same shape, size and held the same equipment, right down to the carpet. He had never had the guts to touch it, regardless of how dirty it became. Even his closest robots had been refused entry.

... He knew the idea was a simple act of a sentimental fool. No matter how he tried, he could never let go of the past. His families death had scared him more than he liked to admit.

It twisted his thoughts, turning him into a ghost of his former self. He longed for the life he had left behind, that he was driven from. At least then, he had true intentions. He was able to think clearly.... something that didn't come easily these days.

And now he was stuck in the past, using it as the only motivation to match forward and take revenge on the one who prematurely ripped the once abnormal family apart.

It was not fair...

The isolation had made him volatile. Driven him mad with grief and regret. Countless times, he found himself waking up from nightmares. Staring longingly into the distance. Lashing out at the world in fits of angry.

His spiral into madness had been rapid, clouding his thoughts and driving his actions. He didn't realise the consequences of his anger until it was done. Most times, he didn't care. All those lives he ruined couldn't quell his rage. Other times, he felt numb, almost hollow inside. Nothing could compare to the lives that were taken.

But then the accident happened, and his faith returned. He became obsessed with revenge, letting the thoughts of what could consume his very bean. He embraced the feeling, finding it more appealing the anger and crimpling depression. It was like a drug. He would sabotage, destroy and even kill to gain back what was his. Finally, his plans where back on track despite the major step back.

It didn't matter if Shadow had lost his memories, he would soon be under his control, regardless, and then he would finally achieve his final goal. The thing that drove him through his crazy schemes and endless defeats.

Looking back it was all worth it to be on the verge of victory and not even that meddling commander will get in his way.

He was determined to carry out his plans. No matter the cost. He had waited too long for this to fail. He couldn't let GUN or Shadow get in the way.

He would reshape the world into his own image and they could finally be reunited. His hand tightened on the locket's chain. To see his cousin's face again was most encouraging, and he hoped Shadow would be too distracted to notice the swap.

Suddenly, there was an announcement coming from his communicator, startling him out of his thoughts.

"Sir. It's the GUN's Commander," a robotic voice informed, making him grit his teeth. That man.... that bastard who...

"Patch him through," the doctor snapped, fists curling.

There was an interference before a voice spoke, tone caught between exhaustion and determined.

"Ivo Robotnick?"

___________________________________

The moonlight reflected off the rusted metal as the figure crept forward, form a dark silicate roaming the woods. It's footsteps clanked against the ground, sending small animals to scurry away in fright. The form paused in the clearing, red eyes servant their surroundings with purpose. Its gaze landed on a small bunker door hidden well beneath the undergrowth and the figure flexed his fingers menacingly before getting to work.

___________________________

A loud bang against the metal above startled the young kit out of his sleep. Half-awake, he glanced around, blue eyes wide as he clutched the comforter closer to his chest. It sounded again, making him flinch. He strained his ears, listening for the sound once more, but instead, he heard a metallic whine as if something gave way.

"Ah!" Tails screamed in terror as something heavy crashed against the floor down the hall. He jumped out of bed in terror, hand coming up to clamp over his mouth as the fritzing sound of warn engines was heard and was coming closer. Quickly, he looked around for somewhere to hide from the unknown intruder and dove under the bed, wiping the remaining Chaos Emerald from the bedside table.

Pulling the sheets down, he tried to control his own heart rate, feeling the blood rush to his ears as heavy thuds echoed across the room as the unknown entity approach. A green light scanned the room and Tails pulled into a tighter ball, blinking rapidly in disorientation once it reached him.

"Chaos Emerald, located," a monotonous tone announced mechanically. The thuds started up again causing the kit to whimper. Terror gripped his heart as the flimsy bedsheet lifted as a primary red form came into view, its blood-red eyes boring into Tails'. Before he knew it, the robots crawled hand reached forward and Tails scream echoed throughout the bunker.

________________________________________________

Behave yourself, she said. Be a good boy, she said. Who gave her the right to talk to him like that? It annoyed him to no end. He had enough patriotism for a lifetime at G.U.N, he wasn't going to take it now they were free.

Shadow huffed, fingers dancing over the keys with little success. The words 'access denied' flashed warningly in red once more, causing his scowl to deepen. His eye twitched, mind racing through the benefits and cons of just punching a hole into one of the monitors.

He was trapped in the control room for over an hour now with nowhere to go and was unable to hack the computer for any information to tell him what the hell was going on. Leaning back in the doctor's oversized chair, he sighed, staring daggers at the password screen. It seemed he would never get into the base's mainframe at this rate...

Suddenly the doors swung open, emitting someone. He turned and was taken aback upon seeing one of the various helper bots the crazy doctor had around this base. This one was a lucky clear cylinder on a long stick that opened up in a half-sphere that reminded Shadow of a bowl. The unit was tiny and seemed to hover a few inches above the ground.

His flimsy arms were swinging about the duster as he hummed a happy tune as he started to brush over the desk by the door. Shadow watched it cautiously, palms unconsciously falling from the keys to his lap. The awkward silence for Shadow hung thick in the air and he held his breath, wondering if he was going to be spotted by the bot or not.

He wasn't sure if the robot reports his activities to Kintobor or if he was even allowed on the computer. The man had just left them here with barely any direction and rules. Shadow failed to understand how he felt about that.

For the first time in 50 years, he wasn't given explicit orders and it made him anxious about the unspoken boundaries of this new base. He didn't want to piss the man off so soon without knowing what he was capable of. His energy levels had a long wait to replenish properly, even with the emerald in his quills and he hated fighting an unknown opponent with such a serve handy cap. And, without his brother around, there was little he could do then relay on the signal emerald he possessed.

Before he could decide what to do, the door opened again, gaining both of their attention.

"Someone's been a naughty boy, going through Egghead's stuff," Rogue commented, caught between amusement and surprise. Shadow felt like a deer in headlights, staring dumbly as she walked over, hips swaying. Her eyes were alight with mischief. "Be a dear and share the files you've had a look at, and I won't have to tell the doctor how much of a bad boy you are, hmm?" She leaned over, hand unconsciously landing on his shoulder.

Red eyes widened a fraction before he shoved it off, throwing her a glare before turning to the screen, frown fixed in place. "It's password-protected," he snorted, feeling a little embarrassed at his failure to access the mainframe.

A grin spread across her face, making him feel a rush of unease, as well as .... excitement? "Oh, honey. Your skills are so limited. Scooch over," she heaved herself onto the massive seat, seating herself next to him so their legs were touching.

He looked away, the rush of heat burning his cheeks. She cooed at his reaction before her delicate fingers flew across the keyboard.

"So..." She begins, making him turn his head to face her again. It did little to quell the embarrassment. He felt like a child waiting to be questioned about their day. "Ultimate lifeform, huh? I did expect someone bigger, but you know the saying- beware the weak and the seemingly vulnerable before they bite your a*s. How'd you get locked up? What's your story, hun?"

Suddenly, all embarrassment was gone, leaving an uncomfortable silence that seemed to suffocate. Each tap against the keyboard was loud and grating in the control room. "I... Don't want to talk about it," he mumbled, uncertainly.

The expecting anger never came, leaving him confused and his skin crawling. This was wrong. Unwanted or diverse answers should result in punishment. Instead, emotion shone in her eyes and she nodded.

"That's fair, I guess." She muttered, afraid to break the silence. Despite her hesitance, her smirk softened into a genuine smile. "Well, whenever you're ready, I'll be here to listen." She told him with a sense of sincerity. "Ah!" She exclaimed and he looked over, his expression morphing into surprise as he found she managed to get in.

How in the world...?

"Now, let's see what the good doctor is hiding, shall we?" She asked, already clicking on a file.

What they saw shocked Shadow to the core. "M-maria?!"

TBC:

https://discord.gg/hEyxbsNK (have your say in the future of this story!)