Sonadow
SonicXShadow
To Give a Heart by wildfire11

[Reviews - 20]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:
Next chapter is here. I thank those who reviewed very much, and to let you know, I have taken to heart what you have adviced me with. Again, I thank you. Please enjoy Chapter 2 of "To Give a Heart".
_

Shadow mumbled, feeling his strength slowly begin to come back to him.

“Where…” he began, but his voice trailed off before he could say anymore. He was weaker than he thought. He waited a bit, eyes closed, before he forced himself to get out, “Where am I?”

“Unfortunately, you’re in my apartment,” came a cocky voice.

A familiar cocky voice, at that.

“Sonic…” Shadow growled. He forced his eyes open, and turned his head to see the azure hedgehog himself standing in front of him.

“Nice attitude,” the blue speedster commented. “You could at least say ‘thank you’; it’d be highly appreciated.”

Crimson glared. “Over my dead body…” he hissed.

Emerald glared back. “You’re lucky the storm is this bad—if it wasn’t, I’d have kicked you out already!”

Shadow sat up angrily. Just as he did so, pain erupted from his chest, sharp and antagonizing. He gritted his teeth, suppressing the sudden cry of agony that was coming from his throat, and laid back down, fists clenching.

“What…did you…do to me?” he asked angrily, immediately putting the blame on his blue rival.

“Me?!” Sonic sounded surprised, yet enraged. “I didn’t do anything!”

“Then why…is there…pain…in my…chest?” Shadow opened his blood red eyes, glaring at Sonic. He still blamed him for the hurt.

“You have a disease, Shadow—a deadly one! That’s what’s causing it, so don’t go blaming me!” Sonic defended.

A disease? That was new.

“I don’t…get…sick…” the black and red hedgehog replied. The pain was slowly subsiding.

“Well, now you are,” was all Sonic said, before he turned to walk past the dark red couch Shadow was laying on.

“Where you going…faker?” Shadow wasn’t going to let Sonic off that easy.

Sonic turned around, quills bristling from hearing the nickname.

“I was going to get you a blanket, but from the way you’re acting, I’m not so sure anymore!” it was evident from the tone of voice that Sonic wasn’t too happy.

“And why…would I need…a blanket, faker?” Shadow smirked inwardly, feeling no guilt for repaying Sonic’s hospitality this way.

“To keep yourself warm so you don’t get cold—if you happen to remember, there is a vicious storm raging outside that we were fighting in earlier,” the blue hedgehog came back with a fleece maroon blanket.

Shadow was caught off-guard. Sonic was worried about him getting a cold? Of all things, that’s probably what Sonic actually wanted him to get. He looked up into the emerald eyes, expecting for when he reached out for it, that Sonic would suddenly pull it back, and say ‘but do you really think I’d care for YOUR welfare?’ But Sonic just stood there, holding out the fleece blanket, his eyes showing honesty. It disgusted Shadow. He instantly slapped the hand away, causing the blanket to tumble onto the floor.

“I don’t need any of your kindness, hedgehog—so don’t even try,” Shadow spat.

Silence. A long, uneasy, silence.

Finally, Sonic murmured, barely loud enough to hear, “So much for trying to help…”

With that, he turned and grabbed the blanket silently, before walking away once more.

Shadow said nothing. Not until he heard a door slam somewhere else in the apartment. He could feel the vibrations; it had been shut so hard. Then, he began to question if his action had really been necessary. All Sonic was trying to do was prevent him from making the disease worse. What harm in there was that?

A lot of things, he told himself silently. I almost let myself be as weak as letting that blue idiot take care of me. I would never forgive myself if I did that.

But what about the disease? Shadow found his crimson eyes drifting over towards a window that was across from his feet. Through it, he could see exactly what Sonic had been talking about. The storm was indeed fierce; flashes seemed to pierce the air, the thunder shook the earth, and heavy rain pounded against every surface. He couldn’t leave. Not with such a severe storm outside.

A sigh escaped his tan lips. So…Sonic was the only one who could cure him from this disease. I’d be a fool to reject his better judgment, he thought bitterly. But another question soon aroused within. What disease do I have, anyway? Sonic said it was fatal, but what disease would cause pain in my chest and how could it happen?

He pushed the matter aside. Sonic somehow knew what he had, and it was up to the blue hedgehog to cure him from it. A sickening feeling came over him as he realized he was at that fuzz ball’s mercy. Sonic could let him die from whatever he had, or he could help him from it. And he had been trying to help him, if Shadow hadn’t rudely rejected the offer.

A small voice in the back of the midnight-furred hedgehog’s head urged him to go apologize. What?! He shrieked. There is no power on earth that would make me do that!

But all the same, he knew it had to be done.

Shadow felt sick. He had never, ever, said sorry to someone. Why should he suddenly apologize to Sonic? He admitted, he acted foolishly and rudely, but did that really deserve to be asked forgiveness? He had never asked forgiveness for anything, and he wasn’t about to do so now.

But he did need Sonic’s help. Sonic was the only one who could cure him of this ‘deadly disease’—whatever it was. Shadow let out a sigh. Whatever he did, he had to tell Sonic that he finally realized he needed his assistance. Well…here I go... he thought, pushing himself up so he could stand. Gathering his strength, he finally stretched out his legs, standing to full height.

I’m getting weaker… he realized dreadfully. Fortunately, he was able to make the distance from the couch, to the closed door behind it. He took a deep breath, before beginning to speak.

“Sonic,” he called. “Forget about what I said earlier. I do need your help.”

No answer. Shadow furrowed his eyebrows.

“Sonic…I said I needed your help,” he repeated.

Still nothing.

“Stupid…ungrateful…little…” Shadow put his hand on the doorknob, thinking of rude, disrespectful comments of the blue blur, but when he opened the door, he was astonished to see no one there.

And a window wide open.

He could now clearly hear the thunder—sharp and piercing to his sensitive ears—and the rain that rapidly leaked in. In a flash, he ran over and closed it.

“What is that idiot—“ he cut himself off when he saw a note on the bed. A deep, sickening feeling—worse than the last ones he had experienced—overcame him as he bent down to it.

Gently, he lifted it up to read.

Shadow-

If you happen to be reading this, then go lay down. You shouldn’t be standing up and using your muscles. You’ll make the disease worse. And do as I say or else I’ll kick your butt again like I did last night. If you are wondering where I am, I went to go retrieve the medicine you need for the disease. I did some research on what you have, and found that I can get a certain type of drug for you (don’t worry; it’s nothing like alcohol or any of that junk). I should be back soon. And since you didn’t let me do this, maybe you will let yourself do it: TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

-Sonic

PS: I left the blanket under this note if you still want to use it.


Shadow stared at that note long and hard.

“Idiot!” he finally burst, standing up, and crumpling the note. How could that little twerp be so…so…so foolish?!

His crimson eyes averted to the window. Out there, somewhere, in that horrid weather was a blue hedgehog. A stubborn, idiotic, defiant…

Slowly, his eyes fell upon the crumpled note in his hand. Why is he doing this? He thought. I’m his rival; his enemy…why is he risking his life for me?

He spent a long time just staring at the note in his hand, before he felt another burst of pain erupt from his chest—and it was worse than the last time. Instinctively, he put a clenched hand up to his white tuft of fur. This time, he couldn’t suppress the howl of pain that escaped from his gritted teeth.

He could swear he was dying from the pain. He didn’t want to give in to what his mind was saying, but finally, he couldn’t help it. He needed Sonic to hurry.

Please…Sonic… his mind pleaded silently. Hurry...