Sonadow
SonicXShadow
He Is My Master by Taranea

Chapter 28: Will You Be Mine?

Shadow cautiously quirked open an eye as faint splashing noises signaled the return of Sonic to his side. The blue hedgehog now smelled of fresh leaves and hay from the soap, his fur once more clean and shining after he had rinsed himself off. Still moving gingerly in the unfamiliar wet element, Sonic finally settled down next to his supposed master, kneeling sideways on the stone bench and laying his head on his arms on the edge of the pool.

"'m done," he announced to the world at large. "Dropped the soap, though, so you may hafta go for a dive if you want to wash."

"It's generally unwise to 'drop the soap', Sonic, didn't you know that?" Shadow drawled and had the reward of a brief jab into his ribs from his unwilling pet.

"Shadow, Tails almost ended up having that done to him. Not funny," Sonic protested and the black hedgehog held up his hands in defence.

"All right, all right. You feeling at least better now?"

"Yeah…" Sonic sighed, letting the hot water work on him, relaxing slightly more. He laid his head on the side, now looking up at Shadow. "But…could you take off my collar now, at least? It's soaked."

Shadow shook his head. "No. Reason, if I ever do that I'd have a hell of a time to get it on you again."

"Urgh," Sonic complained, twisting on the bench again. "I hate that thing, though, it's way too tight."

Shadow hesitated a moment before answering. "…I know." Then he smirked. "Yet I would say it suits you."

"Gee, thanks, Shads," Sonic replied dryly. "I sometimes think a lampshade would be the look for you, but do I ever make you wear one?" he asked, trying to cover up the sudden flush he'd felt again as Shadow had commented on his appearance.

The black hedgehog raised an eye ridge. "I believe the agreement was you get your bath and I get my peace?"

"What's the matter, run out of comebacks, my Master?" Sonic gave him another cheeky grin, but then finally leaned back again and curled up on the bench as best as he could, now also trying to get some relaxation.

Shadow shook his head. The day he'd be able to tame Sonic would be the day Robotnik proposed to the blue hedgehog. (Which actually wouldn't be that surprising any more, really. After the latest creation of the megalomaniac scientist had been the Egg Dealer, a slot machine robot that had been designed in a way it exploded when Robotnik sat in it, Shadow thought his schemes could only become more insane.)

Now, though, the Ultimate Lifeform was perfectly content to just lay an arm around a half-conscious Sonic curled up next to him, the heat having made him so drowsy he didn't object, and stay there forever, both their heads side by side.

It wasn't even long until the blue hedgehog started to breathe more deeply, a sign he had genuinely nodded off…Shadow smiled, gently slid his arms underneath his pet again and carried a dozing and docile Sonic out of the water before it would become too cold.

xxx

"Hmm?" Sonic blearily opened his eyes, blinking a couple times after the warm embrace of the water seemed to have left him. His consciousness returned to find himself lying on one of the woven proto-deckchairs close to the pool, a towel covering his body like a blanket. A soft, padding tread reached his ears just as Shadow came through the curtain again.

"Awake again?" the black hedgehog asked lightly, not yet wearing his gloves or shoes, but merely a towel around his waist. His fur looked dried, but still damp, an indication it couldn't have been that long since he left the water.

"How did I get out of the pool…?" Sonic frowned, sitting up and using the towel to begin to dry himself off.

"Same way you got in there," Shadow smirked. "I carried you."

"Ah," Sonic managed, not entirely sure how to reply to that. Strange that that idea didn't make him feel awkward anymore... "How long was I out?"

"Not long. Maybe twenty minutes," Shadow shrugged, sitting down next to him. "Just long enough for me to run back to the Prince's room and get something."

"You were running around the castle with a towel round your waist?" Sonic asked, a cheeky grin already gracing his face again. "Must've been a sight to see for the cleaning maids. Or some of the male personnel, come to think of it," he added with a slightly less amused tone.

"If you've got to know, I put on my skates earlier and then went for another swim while you were snoozing on the chair," Shadow explained dryly, smoothing down some unruly black fur on his right shoulder as he spoke. "Don't you want to know why I went back?"

"I do, but I figure it's more fun to annoy you by not asking when you obviously want me to," Sonic replied with his most brilliant smile, snickering as the black hedgehog glared.

"Funny. No, Sonic, the reason why I went back was you. Or more accurately, something you said," Shadow said, his tone serious now, and suddenly his face was already close to Sonic's again, red eyes boring into surprised emerald ones. "Can you guess?"

"Wha…?" the blue hedgehog instinctively leaned backwards on his hands, Shadow now almost hovering over him. "No, why…?"

"Well, you said this was far from comfortable, right?" Shadow asked, his voice suddenly light again and expression relaxed. His right index finger came up to tap Sonic lightly on the throat where the choker encircled his neck and the blue hedgehog almost gagged. The Ultimate Lifeform's eyes gleamed amusedly again. "In fact, you've complained about it every single day since we came here."

"Well, yeah, it is kinda tight, but it's not like I had a choice…" Sonic managed, rubbing awkwardly over his own collar. "What are you driving at now?"

"Well, my precious pet," Shadow smirked, one hand reaching into black quills to pull something out. "While you were running around freeing echidna kids, I found something at the market."

"Oh, great," replied Sonic, eyeing the item in Shadow's hands with all the enthusiasm of a candy-addict getting handed a carrot. "You bought another collar. Yay. Let there be cake for all."

"Will you take a closer look, please?" Shadow dead-panned as a reply, apparently slightly annoyed by his supposed slave's lack of rejoicing. "It's not like the one you're wearing now."

He held up the leather collar for proper display. "For one, it's a bit wider so you should feel more comfortable wearing it," he explained. "Also, and this is the important bit, you remember about the colour-coding, yes?"

"Yeah," Sonic replied darkly, looking away. "Green for kitchen slaves, blue for cleaning slaves and red for…slaves like me," he finished awkwardly, not wanting to be reminded of that subject.

"Exactly." Shadow nodded. "Now, I inquired at a collar stall about other codes and chose this one," he said, handing Sonic the choker which the blue hedgehog now noted to be black with printed red, tribal-like swirls on it. He raised an eye ridge.

"What, a collar for emo slaves?"

"Sonic, you want to take a ride into that pool again?" Shadow asked calmly, having the satisfaction to see the other momentarily pale. "No, of course it's not. The red signifies what you already know, however, the black designates you personal property. Meaning, nobody may use you but me. That should give you some peace."

"Right…" Sonic stared at the choker he was supposed to be wearing, his stomach feeling curiously knotty. Trying not to blush when he looked at Shadow, he asked: "But was the red really necessary?"

"Why, you mind?" Shadow gave him another one of those infuriating self-confident smirks and Sonic had trouble to keep a straight face. Fortunately, the black hedgehog soon continued in a more neutral manner.

"Well, actually, there wasn't much choice. Black apparently always goes in combination with another colour and red seemed to be the most common one. Mind you, there also always was the combination of black and violet, but that would have meant you being breeding stock."

"Rghl," Sonic said very coherently, before violently shaking his head. "Chaos, this is so wrong. I swear, if Black Doom doesn't have this Emerald at the dinner, I'm going to strangle the guy with my own hands."

"Would you want to wear this one, though?" Shadow asked, getting their conversation back on topic. "I could switch them now."

"Err…" the blue hero looked at the leather circlet lying on his palm. It felt soft enough…and really, it didn't matter what it stood for, right? Because he wasn't a slave. He was free.

The only things that actually bind me to him are ropes of rather insane, unrequited love, Sonic mused. It don't matter whether I got a collar round my neck or not.

But still, the actual physical sensation of being marked as his property…the blue hedgehog sighed. There was a part of him that rebelled, of course. But another part enjoyed this sense of belonging, no matter the price…liked the idea of Shadow caring for him…didn't mind submitting at times if he got the fun of a good fight first…and if he let Shadow put that collar on him now, that would make it final. He would admit to himself that somewhere he actually wished to be Shadow's pet.

Sonic gritted his teeth.

"Okay. Do it."

Feeling the heat rushing into his cheeks as Shadow wordlessly took the collar back and proceeded to open it, he hurriedly added: "The water's soaked this stupid thing anyway. If it gets any tighter when it dries, I'll choke before we ever find that Emerald. So, if you don't wanna hafta explain another mysteriously disappeared slave, you better be quick."

The black hedgehog let hear a small snort.

"Yeah, right. Just tilt your head forwards so I don't impale myself on your quills."

Sonic did as asked, still feeling awkward as hell for no reason. His flippant remarks always worked for him to feel as if he was controlling a situation at least a little bit, but inside, his intestines were still playing Rollercoaster Tycoon IV. He reflexively stiffened as suddenly his old collar loosened and dropped away, his neck freed for the first time in five days. A small voice also told him that now he also was completely naked in front of Shadow, but a louder voice then told that small voice to stuff it, because it was making next to no sense and Sonic was feeling skittish enough as it was.

Sonic rubbed his neck absentmindedly, feeling where the tight choker had left his fur matted and flat. It was an odd sensation, not wearing the collar any more…the blue hedgehog wasn't sure whether he felt freed or abandoned.

Abandoned. Seriously. Sonic the Hedgehog, you spent your life fighting guerrilla wars on your own ever since you were twelve, and now you feel 'abandoned'. This is about as believable as your average used-car vendor.

…do I actually want the collar back?


Behind his back, Shadow cleared his throat loudly.

"…actually listening to me?"

"What?" Sonic jerked upwards, throwing a glance over his shoulder. "What did you say?"

"I said, 'Are you actually listening to me?'. Because if you don't take your hand from your neck I can't put the new collar on you and you promised you'd wear it," Shadow frowned. "It's only for two more days, Sonic. I'm sure you can handle that."

"Uh, yeah…sure!" Sonic quickly agreed, before turning around and lowering his head again, trying to get his heart to beat a little bit slower. This afternoon was pretty quickly starting to become adrenaline overkill – which was a bit strange, considering no-one had even tried to kill him yet.

Shadow's hands reached around his neck and he could feel the soft leather of the new choker laying itself around his throat. He swallowed as it made contact with his skin and relaxed only the tiniest bit when the lock finally clicked shut and he could feel how the new collar still fit snugly, but was nowhere near as tight and uncomfortable as the old one Greytail had put on him had been.

"Right. Okay for you?" The Ultimate Lifeform asked with a bit more concern than his usual uncaring attitude. Sonic nodded, reflexively running a hand over the new choker, remembering how Lazar would have him whipped right there for that act of disobedience that yet came so naturally. Sonic shuddered inwardly, wondering how any of the other slaves never once rebelled if their Masters treated them that badly.

"Uh-huh. It is, err, a nice collar. I guess."

Shadow snorted. "Never thought I'd hear you say that, faker. Now, how about that walk in the park?"

"I'd prefer a race in the park, but I guess we have to make do with what we got," Sonic replied, still feeling a bit weird after being collared by Shadow again. "Let's grab some food before we go, though."

"Sure." Shadow rose from the bench they were sitting on and picked up Sonic's gloves and shoes, throwing them over to him. "Get dressed and we can leave this ocean disguised as a bathtub for Lazar to clean up," he smirked and Sonic couldn't help but grin in return.

A few minutes later, they were on their way back to the Prince's dorm and Shadow noticed that a lot of the nobles they passed now looked at them with a lot less disapproval. A quick glance at Sonic surprised him, but explained this:

The blue hedgehog now was walking in a lot less fidgety and displeased manner. Rather, he appeared a lot more relaxed and thoughtful to Shadow – his hands were meekly clasped behind his back as he trotted along on the leash, ears and tail drooping and shoulders for once not squared in challenge, but all fight gone from his stance. To Shadow it was clear that Sonic just felt at ease at the moment or was pondering something, but apparently the casual observer was led to believe that the blue hedgehog was finally tame and docile - broken. Nevertheless, Shadow enjoyed seeing Sonic like this for once and they arrived at their dorm without any interruption.

"Pondering something?" Shadow asked casually as he released his pretend pet again and Sonic gave him an absent-minded look.

"Me? No. No," he replied, letting himself crash down onto the bed while Shadow disposed off the old red collar and decided to leave Sonic be if he didn't want to tell him. He liked the idea of being able to claim that beautiful body as his, but wouldn't want to intrude into Sonic's mind if the other wished for some privacy.

"Lunch should be here soon," the Ultimate Lifeform announced and seated himself on the bedside with his back to the prone Sonic. "I really should get someone to clean my skates, too, but these medieval idiots would probably completely wreck them…" he muttered, starting to wipe the dirt from the city out of the jets on the underside of his shoes.

The blue hedgehog only stared at the back quills of his supposed Master, still not able to solve what puzzled him so.

Why?

Why would I enjoy the thought of being his pet?

Moreover, how could he even be one?

He was Sonic the Hedgehog. Mobius' hero and protector, and he loved his adventurous lifestyle. People said he was like the wind – wild and wandering, free-spirited and roaming, untamed and carefree…

His gaze fell onto the empty food bowl of Tails.

Carefree…

…except he wasn't, was he?

Everyone always depends on me. All the time.

He often didn't think about it like that, but…

It's true. I mean, if you look at it you could say I have a lot of responsibility, even if Knucklehead wouldn't see it. I don't mind it as such, but…

He had to keep everyone safe.

In the end, it was always him who had to save the day, Mobius' first and last line of defence. When Robotnik (or whoever was the current Lunatic Of The Week) attacked, he had to go in headfirst. Never waver, never falter in the slightest. Never make a wrong decision because it could be his last.

He liked it, of course. The thrill of brushing death like a butterfly's wing, living life like a dance on the edge of a blade, feeling every fibre of your being because you never knew whether you would still be alive in a moment…

...not to mention the ego boost of seeing your picture on the front page.

But Sonic also knew that if anyone got hurt because he hadn't been strong enough, fast enough, good enough, he would never be able to forgive himself.

Yet being with Shadow…it was different. He could remember when they had fought on the same side for the very first time against the Biolizard, how exhilarating it had been to go into combat together with someone who was his equal and he didn't have to worry about him. He had known that if he ran out of rings, Shadow would let him collect new ones, if he got hit, Shadow would be there to take over…

And the Ultimate Lifeform could also fight alone.

Sonic recalled the final battle with Black Doom back in their own world. When he had transformed into Devil Doom, Sonic, for the first time ever, had been forced helplessly onto the sidelines, terrified because he wouldn't be able to stop him and Mobius would fall...

When Shadow had defeated the alien overlord single-handedly, Sonic had been so relieved he would have hugged the black hedgehog right then and there.

Except, of course, for that being-tossed-across-the-room –bit.

Come to think of it, that might have been what had started his fascination with the black hedgehog back then in the first place - suddenly, he had found himself hanging around him more and more often, challenging him to fights and races…

He rolled over to one side, so that he now lay curled up against the back of the sitting Shadow, carefully arranged in a way that it could just have been accidental. Sonic for a moment wished he could lay his head into the black hedgehog's lap, but to label that as a coincidence might have been a bit tricky. Fortunately the Ultimate Lifeform did not seem to mind the contact thus far.

Thinking of Shadow as his Master, he felt…at ease…

For once, he didn't have to be anything. Shadow loved (well…make that 'tolerated') him as he was and as long as he played his role, there were no responsibilities. He had to be nothing but a pet, pretend lover and friend. Shadow was taking care of everything…and Sonic had been surprised to find he liked the submission in a curious way, not always having to be the leader, only rebelling at first because it had been so unfamiliar, like a scalding hot bath that was only uncomfortable until you had adjusted to it and you could enjoy it. Of course, he would never have tolerated being the black hedgehog's slave if he had abused him in any way, but Shadow had treated him well (apart from a few…incidents…) and Sonic liked being around him. He knew of course, that he would not be able to stay on Shadow's leash forever, merely a pet and plaything, but while it lasted it was a nice break…

"There's horse excrements. In my hover skates. Can you believe it? Horse excrements," Shadow commented quite surrealistically at this point, bringing him back into the present.

"Really? Let me have a look at them," Sonic replied in a flash of inspiration, getting up on all fours on the bed and then draping his torso in Shadow's lap, taking the hover skate out of his gloved hands and pretending to give it a thorough inspection.

"Yup. Seems to be genuine 'horse excrement' to me. Wanna take bets on what kind of colour the horse was?" he twisted a bit, so he now lay on his back and could grin up at Shadow, who still seemed a bit surprised to find himself with an amused Sonic halfway lying on his legs and halfway on the bed. Shadow snatched the skate back.

"You. Down," he ordered with mock severity.

"Aww, Shads, come on, I'm not your dog." Sonic wriggled a bit to get comfortable, being very careful that his head quills wouldn't cut the other.

"Down, or I'll think about this having you doused in the yard idea," Shadow threatened with a smirk that let his hedgehog incisors glint menacingly.

"Nawww, you wouldn't do that to your poor, defenceless slave, would you?" Sonic gave him a bright grin, lacing his hands behind his head. He enjoyed joking around like this with Shadow immensely, and wished nothing more than that it could go further than that…but at the same time, he was way too nervous to actually take a step in this direction. He was terrified of the idea of even admitting to Shadow that he liked him a bit more than just a friend and good-natured rival, never mind telling him that he was beginning to realize he enjoyed their little charade a little bit more than he should…

How on Mobius does Amy make this love-confessions business look that easy?!

"Have you forgotten what I did to you already when you disobeyed?" Shadow raised an eye ridge as he smirked down at Sonic, all at once that wicked sparkle in his eyes the blue hedgehog had already learned to fear…right before Shadow dropped the skate to run both his hands over the fur covering Sonic's ribs and the ticklish hedgehog yelped and jumped to his feet instantly.

"No fair!" Sonic laughed, trying to regain a dignified stance again. "I think it's time I staged a coup, you faker of a Prince…" the blue hedgehog advanced with a dangerous glint in his eyes, letting Shadow rise from the bed, his body language now also speaking of challenge.

"The pet trying to bite the hand that feeds it now?"

"When you bought me your ego was writing cheques your quills can't cash!" Sonic shot back confidently, stepping forward to shove Shadow, but the black hedgehog brought his hands up in time to catch Sonic's. Both Sapients were now locked in a pushing match, sparkling crimson staring into playful emerald, while both of them mock-fought for dominance.

A knock on the door suddenly brought them up short.

"My Prince? I'm sorry, but this matter is of importance!" Greytail called from outside and both hedgehogs let go immediately, as if caught doing something they shouldn't have, the joy of the moment gone.

"What is it, Greytail?" Shadow asked, making for the door while a frustrated Sonic sighed and slid down beneath his ring again, wondering why on Mobius these people couldn't leave their Prince alone for freakin twenty minutes.

"As you may know, my Prince, the preparations for the war are already well underway. To further ensure our superiority, we are now drafting all non-essential slaves to become weapons for our army. Your slave was not listed as an essential commodity and since he appears to be broken now…" the cat trailed off, not at least because Shadow's expression had become ever more unfriendly.

"I'm keeping Sonic here," he announced.

"My Prince, I am terribly sorry, I am aware that one can grow quite attached to one's pets, but…" Greytail argued, obviously torn between obedience towards a superior and conflicting orders.

"Servant. Look at him. Sonic is a pleasure slave, and nothing more. Do you honestly believe he would be of any use on a battlefield?" Shadow asked in a tone that suggested the cat was in dire need of a second brain hemisphere, even if Sonic's lips had briefly twitched at the irony of the question.

Greytail seemed to consider the point but still wasn't convinced.

"Well, if you put it like that, my Prince, no, but my orders are-"

"Also, Sonic is needed for the presentation of slaves at the dinner tomorrow," Shadow continued. "As you are aware we need to demonstrate to King Max of Acorn that our way of handling things is the right one and our pets have no other wish but to serve their masters. I have already announced to my father that I will take Sonic with me for that purpose."

"Oh. Well, in that case, I apologize again for disturbing you. Also, I have brought your lunch," the cat bowed and presented a tray laden with food that he carried into the room. "I, errm, fail to see the fox kit…?" he wondered, looking at the empty food bowl in the corner next to Sonic.

"Yes. I needed him for demonstration purposes. I disposed of the body already," Shadow explained coolly, satisfied to see at last the tiniest twitch of the feline's whiskers and knowing he still hadn't lost his touch when it came to playing the 'homicidal maniac' card.

Greytail managed a very tiny "Ah," and then made to disappear rather quickly, leaving Shadow to watch Sonic jump up and immediately plonk himself at the table, wolfing down the food.

"Ing wash ang igiot nock koo eat ackfasht," the blue hedgehog explained coherently to his supposed Master, which Shadow assumed translated loosely into 'I was an idiot not to eat breakfast', especially since Sonic then continued with "I've never been so hungry in my life. Well. Technically –munch- there was that one time when –gobble- I had been following Eggman for –chomp- days in Oil Ocean Zone and you know, like, nothing grows there and-" it was about at this point that he started violently choking on some food bit or other and Shadow hit him rather harder on the back than would have been necessary.

"For Chaos' sake, faker, will you stop talking while eating! I grew up on a space station but Professor Gerald at least taught me that."

"Heh. Sorry," the blue hero apologized sheepishly after he had recovered. "I guess I should watch myself at this dinner. Not that I'd assume they let us slaves eat at the table anyway," he added dryly. After a few more bites he at last turned to Shadow, his expression now serious again.

"Which reminds me, Shadow. Us two have it pretty cosy here, but that doesn't change a thing that the world out there is utter horror. I mean, just look at this plate:" he gestured to the food. "We get to eat – well, technically, I get to eat – while I'm pretty sure out there's starving children. And starving slaves. Now they're to be used as cannon fodder, too. We saved one. How do we save the others?"

Shadow shook his head. "It's not that simple, Sonic. You're used to fighting against a single villain, while we have a whole system to contend with here. It's not as easy as thrashing the Doctor's latest robot. If we defeated Black Doom, there might just be someone else taking his place. "

"Oh yeah?" Sonic shot back. "Who? His son?"

"Don't be ridiculous," Shadow replied. From what I've seen of the real Prince's 'utensils' the guy had other things on his mind anyway. "But someone would. He could be even worse than Black Doom."

"And what if he was better?" Sonic argued. "Your strategy is not doing anything just because thrashing the place wouldn't work. I say once we've got the Emerald we whoop Black Doom's floaty butt. Let's give this world a chance, okay? Maybe there could be a rebellion that's just been waiting for an opportunity," the collared hero explained, his eyes shining at the prospect of an end to the suffering he had seen.

"Hrrrm," Shadow frowned, obviously not happy about the direction this conversation was taking. So far, Sonic had never made definite plans re: liberating the world, but it was obvious this was one subject he wouldn't yield on.

"Come on, Shadow. You know it's the right thing to do," Sonic said…and then tentatively reached out to cover Shadow's hand lying on the table with his own. He looked into his eyes. The blue-furred speedster knew he was playing a dangerous game. He had been making ever so little advances, trying to ascertain how much familiarity Shadow would permit him…and always, always he was fearing the black hedgehog would eventually rear back and ask him what the hell he thought he was doing.

And it came to Sonic's surprise that Shadow instead merely sighed, but then briefly squeezed Sonic's hand in his own. "Fine. Once we've got the Emerald, we can try to defeat Black Doom. But don't you dare, Sonic, don't you dare get yourself killed."

"Awesome!" the blue hero's face lit up immediately, not at least from the little fireworks batch Shadow gripping his hand had just now ignited inside him. Sonic tossed his supposed Master his leash. "Now I feel like a walk in the park!"

xxx

It was a peaceful picture. Sonic and Shadow were walking side by side, smelling the black rose bushes that lined the paths of Black Doom's Rocky Horror Garden Show. Shadow briefly wondered whether the petals falling down from the trees might have been cherry blossoms, but then again, flame-red petals with a black, slit-pupil eye in the middle probably weren't listed in any standard botanic volume. Sonic was occasionally darting to the side or walking a couple of steps in front of Shadow when he had seen something interesting, but there never was a problem with the length of leather dangling from his neck – the blue hedgehog was acting as naturally as if it wasn't there at all, just enjoying being close to his midnight counterpart.

Shadow himself felt oddly at peace, too, despite the problems like 'Survive The Dinner 101' and 'We Kill Black Doom How, Exactly?' looming on the horizon. He wondered why this was, when he was as far from home as he could be, not even able to look at the night sky to see the ARK float in orbit as a dark patch between the stars.

But of course when he looked at Sonic enjoying himself he knew the answer. As long as Sonic let himself belong to him, he had someone to care for, again, he had a purpose once more…he wasn't sure whether it had something to do with the bathing madness from this morning, but something had shifted a bit in their relationship. Shadow felt as if Sonic had entrusted himself to him when he had let Shadow put the collar on him, even after he had yelled at Shadow only in the morning how the 'last person in your care' had died…

Thinking of Maria still hurt. Especially when he could not even visit her grave in this strange dimension. But being around the blue hero somehow soothed that pain – he didn't have to be afraid of losing Sonic if he decided to love him. The blue hedgehog was a survivor, as strong as the Ultimate Lifeform himself.

Shadow smiled.

Perhaps I have been given a second chance, Maria.

To be continued...