Sonadow
SonicXShadow
Vertical Infinity by NiGHTShadow

[Reviews - 76]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:
This chapter is really long because I couldn't split it up. I mean, I could, but I didn't know exactly how I'd do it. So it's sorta long. And not quite good. D=
Anyway! Review, darn it!
Chapter 12: All of Us

Tails

Amy’s capsule was singing, and for the first time, he understood why the pink hedgehog could not hurt it.

The song was so beautiful. So sad. Even Knuckles agreed, after a lot of debate, that the capsule would get until Sonic returned.

“The song, it’s getting softer and softer…” Amy worried. “Tails. Can you fix it?”

“I wish I could… but I can’t.” Tails shrugged. “We’ve looked it over. There’s no mechanics to it. It’s just a sealed capsule…”

“We have to do something!” Amy waved her arms about drastically.

Cream was inspecting the capsule as if she could do something about it. Tails sighed. What was inside?

“…Chao!” Cheese cried. Cream went over to where Cheese was and gasped.

“Something’s inside! It’s moving!” Cream squealed.

Tails and Amy practically butted heads to go see. Through a very small peephole, they could make out a figure. A thing that stood inside, unaware to the outside world.

“What is it? I told you there was something in there!” Amy whispered.

“I dunno!” Tails whispered back.

Rouge nearly killed herself trying to pass the two to get into the room. “Good God, you idiots…” She muttered. Amy made a face at her.

Cream tugged on Tails’ arm. “Can we do something about it?”

He groaned. “No, no, no, and no again…Remember? I said this the last time… I can’t work this! It’s not a machine, I can’t fix it or take it apart…”

“Well, who’s gonna let that thing out?” Amy asked. “It’s the thing that’s singing! It’s probably dying, look at what a teeny hole it has for air!”

Rouge spoke up from across the room, where she was watching TV. “Shadow can rip those things apart. Just ask him.”

“You think so?” Tails asked.

“I know so.” Rouge snarked. “Now shut up so I can watch CSI.”

Amy murmured some choice words about Rouge that Tails had to cover up for Cream.

Later, Tails was sitting in front of the TV, not quite seeing, but thinking. He wasn’t sure if it would be safe to open the capsule because they didn’t know what the thing inside was. Like, yeah, it could be dying, but then, what if there was a reason it was dying? Like maybe it was something that the Black Arms didn’t want? It wasn’t logical to think that just because they didn’t want it that Tails and the others should gladly accept it with open arms.

But, the think on the inside, it was furry. The fur might have been long and matted, but it was fur all the same…

They had created Shadow. Could they have created something else?

No… Shadow had been with the help of Professor Gerald…

But had Black Doom created Shadow’s body too…?

Tails needed to talk to Shadow. There were questions that needed to be answered before Shadow even started ripping anything open.

But Shadow... would he listen?

Sonic

“Why are you not helping out clean Westopolis…? It would have made the clean-up so much quicker.”

“Are you just deaf, Sonic? We had this conversation.”

“I know… but…”

“Shut up.” Sonic scowled at Shadow. The older hedgehog was busy scooping up acid while Sonic was doing fast work, zipping back and forth picking out pieces of metal and cleaning away the acidic blood that the Black Arms had left behind.

“You don’t have to be so touchy about it.”

“How many times are you going to ask me the same question?”

“Because it’s not like you to avoid something that you just don’t like.”

Shadow paused, fixing Sonic with a heated gaze. “And since when… did you know me so well?”

Sonic was reminded of when Shadow and tackled him to find out what Sonic meant when he said that he liked him. Nope. That wasn’t happening again. “I know you a little bit. I think.”

“I think the operative word is think.” Shadow said. “I don’t like showing up in places where I’m liable to get murdered, thanks. I actually want to live, okay? You and I know that Knuckles would have tried, and failed, if I had stayed on Angel Island without you.”

Sonic felt a small surge of pride. “That’s because you and Knuckles are always at each other’s throats.”

“Yeah. Well, I’m not always in the mood for killing people.” Shadow declared, turning back to his work.

Sonic went back to work too, and they toiled together silently. Sonic was thinking about his other friends, for the first time in what felt like a long time. He missed his apartment with Tails, but he couldn’t pass up hanging out with Shadow…

“Hey.” Sonic blinked and turned to Shadow, who was watching him with blank red eyes. “Aren’t you hungry?” Sonic shook his head, but his stomach played him and growled softly. Shadow’s ears picked up the sound, and he smirked. “You’re a bad liar.”

Sonic grinned. “Okay, so I lied. What’ll we do for food? Yesterday we ate most of the food that we’d taken from Knuckles place…”

Shadow sighed. “I’m kinda in the mood to actually eat. Maybe like…”

“A chilidog?” Sonic asked, excitedly.

“…?” Shadow looked confused. “Well…I was going to say Chinese, but… whatever.”

Sonic grinned, happy he was going to get chilidogs, and then he frowned. “Do you like chilidogs, Shadow?”

“Don’t think I’ve ever had one.” The other hedgehog shrugged.

“What? You haven’t lived until you’ve had a chilidog!” Shadow wrinkled his nose, but said nothing. Sonic pretended he hadn’t seen that. “And I know who makes the best chilidogs anywhere!” Shadow made no movement. “Well?

Shadow sighed as if he had lost some great inner struggle. “Okay, I’ll bite. Who?”

Sonic grinned. “Couldn’t you guess? It’s Rouge.”

“…She… cooks?”

“Yeah. A little.” Sonic grinned. “But she makes the best chilidogs, and, they’re free!”

Shadow smirked. “Huh. Rouge cooks…”

“You wouldn’t think so, would you?”

“I sorta always saw Knuckles cooking.” Shadow smiled evilly. “Actually, I kinda always thought Rouge would have Knuckles doing every little favor she wanted… which meant cooking. I think that was the upside to the Space Cannon fiasco.”

“What? That Knuckles and Rouge decided to get together?” Shadow shrugged. Sonic snickered. “It definitely wasn’t something I expected.”

“Who expects Knuckles to find someone who actually likes him?” Shadow asked, and Sonic almost scolded him for making fun of Knuckles yet again, when Shadow said, “If you don’t hurry, I’ll beat you there.”

“Wha?” Sonic started, and Shadow hurried off, Sonic at his heels, yelling about how Shadow cheated.

Ivan Robotnik

The plan was brutally obvious, to the doctor, anyway.

It had three major steps. First, he would steal the master emerald, and create a distraction by sending the whole Sonic team on a wild goose chase after a robot Robotnik. In the meanwhile, he would pick up at least four of the emeralds as bait for Shadow.

The likelihood of Sonic and Shadow working together, at this point, was high. To separate them, he’d have to create another problem, possibly one for Shadow, but… since Shadow was so strong… perhaps one for Sonic instead. A Mecha Sonic recreation, perhaps, but he would need something more… Something that he could use to trap Sonic, and possibly the silly fox and echidna as well. This was the second step.

The final step depended solely on Shadow. Shadow probably would take the position of hero into his own hands then, either trying to save Sonic or trying to destroy Robotnik on his own. At this point, the doctor would say that his inventions had turned against him, and that Metal Sonic, whose body had been revamped, had created Mecha Sonic. He would hand over the Vertical Infinity and say that the little biological weapon was something the Black Arms had left behind, and ask if he could perhaps use it to destroy Mecha Sonic. Shadow would have to agree, and use the Vertical Infinity to the doctor’s ultimate benefit.

But would he be able to control Shadow, enough so that he would create the Empire of Eggman?