Sonadow
SonicXShadow
Infection by Illumini

Welcome to my second fic. I've gone for a 'dark' plot in this one, which is why this chapter exists, and why other's like it will. They'll basically give hints to the overall plot, which will come in around the second half. I don't like them much either, to be honest.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Shadow, Sonic or anyone. SEGA & Sonic Team does.

____________________________________________________________

A field mouse poked its head out from a hole, its nose twitching cautiously. Satisfied that all was well, it wriggled the rest of its fat little body out of the burrow, and began to run. It stopped momentarily to preen itself, but began sniffing again when it noticed a bright, fast approaching light.

That was the last thing it saw before it was caught under the tyres of the black Hummer. The SUV sped along the dirt road, kicking up a small trail of dust as it raced towards its destination. Inside the vehicle, one of the occupants murmured to themselves. “Right. We’re in the red zone. You go first.”
“Well, then.” The driver said, taking a hand off the wheel to remove his shades. Which were unnecessary in the first place, considering that it was midnight. “I’m your chemical’s expert. Seven years experience. In the back, there’s about 500Kg of Rhabdoviridae. What about you?”
The man’s passenger waved a small control pad. “I’m the techie on this one. This bad boy here’ll break any lock you want.”
“Seems a bit redundant, considering as we’re just breaking into a reservoir.” The driver said.
“Hey, I’m the most vital part of this operation, AND your superior. And don’t you forget it”
“Oh yeah? And how exactly are you vital?
The man’s passenger frowned at him. “You’re not authorized to know that.
The driver simply grunted to himself, as he returned his gaze to the road in front of him. He began to ease off the speed, realizing that there was a gate blocking the road.
“Speed up.” The passenger said flatly.
“But there’s…” The driver started.
“I said SPEED UP!” The passenger roared, cutting him off.
The driver shrugged and floored the accelerator, racing up towards the iron barrier. The two collided with a deafening crash, although the flimsy wire was no match for the chrome fender of the Hummer. The gate went flying forward, before being rammed again and was flipped over the roof of the 4WD, leaving a crack in the windshield.
“Aw, crap…” The driver mumbled.
“Relax; you weren’t going to have this very long, anyway.” The passenger reassured, as the SUV continued its journey up the hill.

“Out.” The passenger ordered when they arrived. “And bring the stuff with you.”
The driver stepped out of the car and walked around to the back. He opened the hatch and pulled out a collapsible trolley. He assembled it, and began to stack several large steel barrels onto it.

Meanwhile, the passenger grabbed a pack out of the rear seat marked ‘Hunter’. He pulled out several pieces of electrical equipment, and clipped them to his belt. He then pulled out another pack, marked ‘Eagle’, and threw it to the other man. “Let’s go.” He said.

The two men walked over to a door on a small building, next to several large pools of water. He unclipped a device from his belt and pressed it against the lock. It clicked, and the door swung open. The pair entered and walked over to a control panel. Hunter press a few buttons on the keypad, and a green light appeared in the darkness. The men walked over to it and stepped out into a room containing a large amount of machinery. Hunter strolled over to a tank of water.
“Here it is.” He declared proudly. “The purifier.”
Eagle stared at the pool dumbly. “So, we just dump it in here?”
Hunter shook his head. “No. We put it in here.” He said, walking over to a small, rusting silo. “This has been in disuse for a number of years, though I doubt that they’ll notice it.” He pulled open a hatch on the side. “Well, let’s get to work.

For the next hour, the two men emptied the cylinders of grey powder into the tank. When they were done, Hunter pulled another device off his belt, one that resembled a transmitter. He pushed a button, and the silo began to hum quietly. Smirking as though satisfied with the result, he deactivated it and clipped it onto his belt, before reaching towards a holster.
Eagle raised an eyebrow. “What was that all about?”
Hunter frowned at him. “Oh, nothing you need to worry about.” He said, before pulling the gun off his belt and shooting him in the head. Eagle pitched back with a surprised look on his face.

Hunter smirked, and pulled a radio off his waist. “Command, this is Hunter. The drug has been deposited. Over.”
A voice crackled over the speaker. “And I trust all loose ends have been eliminated?”
“Affirmative.”
The voice chuckled. “Excellent. Everything is going exactly according to plan.”