Sonadow
SonicXShadow
Infection by Illumini

It’s ALIVE!

Yes, I am back. I would like to apologise for not updating ANYTHING for ages, I lost motivation, developed writer’s block, and had to go on a quest to find the Holy Grail.

Anyway, here’s the bit you’ve all been waiting for… The Sonadow! While there’s barely any actual discussion of it, it’s a start, and I promise that there’ll be more. And, as usual, I don’t own Sonic or Shadow.

______________________________

‘Shadow… Loves me?’

For once in his life, Sonic the Hedgehog was speechless. He had been through some very trying times in his life – The Rise of Chaos, the Black Arms Invasion – But all throughout, Sonic always had something to say – Good or bad, joke or jibe. At least, that was according to Knuckles, although the echidna had not put it quite so eloquently.

This, however hit much closer to home…

It was something he just couldn’t put his finger on – He couldn’t even produce a whimper of confusion, let alone a coherent response to what had been revealed. It wasn’t that he didn’t WANT to respond – He just couldn’t.

“Look, Sonic, I understand if you’re feeling uncomfortable right now…”

“No, no!” Sonic replied, causing Shadow to jolt back, a look of fear and rejection forming on his tanned muzzle. Sighing, the blue one continued. “It’s just… Its bit of a shock, I guess… I mean, you love me, it’s all just a little…”

“Weird?” Shadow said sadly, fearing the worst. This was what had always prevented him from telling Sonic of his love – The fear that Sonic just wouldn’t accept the way he was. He had never truly understood the hatred for people like him – It was socially unacceptable, illegal, to treat another person differently based on their race or religion – So why was it still OK to shun those of his persuasion?

“No, that’s not what I meant at all!” Sonic retorted, waving his arms in denial. “I just never saw you as the type of person to be well… Gay…”

“I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover…” Shadow sighed, trying to maintain his calm, outer shell. Despite his collected appearance, he was set to explode on the inside. He NEEDED to know what Sonic thought about his feelings – Would he accept, reject, or ridicule them… “Look, Sonic, I know this is a bad time for you…”

“No, it’s alright…” Sonic breathed, tears welling up in his eyes again. “I just… Can’t believe Amy’s gone…” Gulping deeply, Sonic tried to hold them back, not wanting to appear weak to the ebony one.

“You can cry, Sonic… It’s OK… I know how you feel…”

“How could you know!” Sonic whispered, an angry tone beginning to emerge. “You don’t know what it’s like to be so in love with someone, then to watch them die… When you could have saved them, knowing it’s all your fault that they’re dead!”

“Really?” Shadow replied dryly. “There’s something you need to know about me, Sonic. It’s about me and Maria.”

“Why… What happened… Were you two…”

“No.” Shadow replied, anticipating Sonic’s question. “But it’s a bit like that. See, Sonic, Maria was one of my only friends on the ARK, besides Gerald. My best friend, too, we did everything together. I guess Gerald wanted her to be like a motherly figure to me, perhaps to make me more… Human, you could say.”

“For the short time we knew each other, we grew amazingly close. We played with each other, we cared for each other, we kept each other company. I don’t know when it was… But I began to notice feelings, involving her. I would always worry about her when we were apart; I always wanted to be with her… And when she died… I was heartbroken. I was scared, confused… I just wanted to cry until it stopped hurting…”

“You… Loved her…” Sonic breathed, staring up at Shadow in amazement.

The black one nodded slowly. “So very, very much, Sonic. Only I didn’t realize it until it was too late. But you know what I did realize?”

“I realized that Maria wouldn’t have wanted me to mourn over her forever, never letting anyone get as close again. She would have wanted me to move on, and find someone else that could make me happy, the same way she made me happy. And I know Amy would want you to as well, Sonic.”

“But…” His breaths were coming quick now, hyperventilating from confusion. “I’m so scared… I want Amy back… It’s my fault that she’s gone…”

Shadow quickly slapped Sonic’s face, forcing him to look into his eyes. “No, Sonic, it is not your fault. She was killed by the damned GUN soldier, no one else. You could not have known she was going to be shot, there was nothing you could have done to stop it.”

“But I…” Trembling softly now, the blue one spoke just above a whisper. “Shadow… I feel so cold… I don’t know what to do…”

The black one leant in towards him, placing his lips at the blue ear, and whispered. “Then do what feels right…”

“Oh, Shadow!” Sonic cried in anguish, finally letting it all go. He began to cry heavily, collapsing against the black hedgehog, his only support a faint grip on his shoulders. Shadow grabbed Sonic to support him, and pulled him up to his feet, his head laying to rest on his shoulder. The blue one continued to sob loudly, his arms tightening around Shadow, afraid to be left alone.

“That’s it, Sonic… Cry, just cry… It’s alright, don’t worry…” Shadow simply hugged the azure boy warmly as he cried, whispering sweet nothings into the folded ears. Running a hand down his side, Shadow gently gripped behind Sonic’s knees and swept him upwards, hanging his head over him to shade him from the rain. The blue one curled up a little in Shadow arms, squirming into the warmth of his body as he continued to sob, albeit softly now. Giving him a gentle kiss on the forehead, Shadow began to make his way inside. Carefully, he lay Sonic down on the bed, the blue one having cried himself to sleep. Ebony didn’t blame him either, even for him, this had been quiet an exhausting day. Standing upright, he observed the blue one sleep. Observing his wild tossing and turning, it was quite clear that Sonic was sleeping badly. Why, Shadow could not say.

Biting his lip, an idea slowly formed in the black one’s head. Slowly, he lay down on the bed next to Sonic, pulling his trembling form closer to share his body heat. While this may have been a rather self-indulgent moment, Shadow knew he could justify himself if he needed to, and besides, after all this, Shadow doubted that Sonic would want to be alone. Pulling the cover up over both of them, Shadow began to drift off as well, the want for an answer still niggling away in his mind. He didn’t know whether Sonic would accept his feelings. He didn’t know if he’d reject them. But he did know one thing: Sonic was not a mean-spirited person.

Whether he accepted him or not, Shadow would still be his friend.

And he would be his ally.

But most of all…

He would be his guardian.
______________________________

Aw…

Shadow: …Ful.

Oh, quiet you. You’re just upset because you didn’t get any action with Sonic.

Shadow: Well, maybe if he wasn’t so depressed over that bi…

Sonic: Shadow

Shadow: Grrr…

As usual, please read and review. Oh, and I’ve still got minor writer’s block for Dark Salvation, so if anyone has ideas on how to continue… Feel free to message me. I’d love you if you did. Especially YOU, Lightning…

Because, hey, it’s always hard to continue after a… Lemon…