Sonadow
SonicXShadow
Moral Balance by Illumini

…And here’s part two! I’m sorry that I put this ahead of updating Dark Salvation or Infection, but I’m trying to have as few unfinished fics as possible. That, and I’ve got writer’s block again for DS, and I just plain don’t feel like updating Infection… I’ve got no idea what I’m going to put in the next few chapters.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter. I suppose it’s practise for writing stories when Sonic and Shadow gradually fall in love, I’m not really confident in that area. I PROMISE, I’ll update Dark Salvation next.

____________________________________________________________

A dull orange light emanated across the blackened ruins, dark shadows forming on the already pitch black ash. In the distance, a heavily dilapidated building began to crumble, the structure collapsing in a massive chain reaction. Clouds of ash and dust slowly billowed away from the ruined building, engulfing everything in its path. Turning away from the scene, the brown hedgehog continued his path through the destroyed park, leaving shallow footprints in the blackened earth. A few trees continued to burn, the wood turning to charcoal in the intense heat as the limbs dried and fell. The hedgehog stopped to stare at a pile of twisted and destroyed steel; the remains of a children’s playground. He walked over to it, running his gloved hand over the blackened metal. Stooping, he picked up a small object, a child’s teddy bear. He stared at it for a few seconds, turning away as a small drop of water slipped from his eye and landed on the fabric. Dropping it back to the ground, he continued past the playground, walking toward a clearing.

Sighing, Sonic headed over to a large rock and sat down, staring out to the ocean. It was funny, he had always been terrified of the water, but right now is was… Calming. The bay sparkled as the setting sun hit it, the light reflecting off every wave and ripple. He could just imagine jumping in and letting the tide take him away, away from all of this…

He shook his head roughly. He had to stop thinking like this. Since when did he take the easy way out? He was being irrational, anyway. He couldn’t have helped what happened. Nobody could. What had happened was in the past. It wasn’t his fault that it happened.

Except… It was.

Two weeks had passed since he had absorbed Scourge. He remembered the night well. Although, it wasn’t really something you could forget. After all, which would you remember, joining bodies with another person or forgetting to buy the milk? It had made him a completely new person, both physically and mentally. Gone were his rich, cobalt fur and deep emerald eyes, he now sported a dark chocolate pelt, with Scourge’s bright sapphire irises. He had even adopted one of Scourge’s trademark scars.

Sonic’s personality had also received an overhaul. It wasn’t overtly shown – If you were to say Hi to him, he would still be the same cheery old Sonic. But his friends had certainly noticed something was different. There was now a flair to his personality… A cocky, arrogant undertone, that only Scourge could have possessed.

The next fourteen days had been some of the greatest of Sonic’s life. He had a new outlook on life – He was more daring, more confident and more energetic than ever before. He had finally worked up the confidence to tell Amy once and for all that he did not like her THAT way – Unsurprisingly, she had taken in badly, locking herself in her house for several days – Sonic had found it hard to interact with her after that. He had finally won a brawl with Knuckles, much to the Guardian’s embarrassment. He had even helped Tails work up the courage to speak to Cream.

And all his efforts, now meant nought…

Unfortunately, his new personality had a downside – He was far more cocky, arrogant and self-centred than before. While he had been dealing with his friends, several major crimes had been committed in the city – Bank robberies, hijacking and even mini-riots had occurred. The city had counted on Sonic to defend it. Each time, they were let down.

Not that any of it mattered anymore.

Two days ago, Eggman had launched another of his many assaults on the city – It was nothing out of the ordinary, giant robot suit attacks group of buildings, Sonic takes it down, everyone loves the hero, ???, profit! It had almost become a routine for the two of them, like a monthly meeting between them.

The last attack, however, was not so routine. Because of things he had been doing, Sonic may not have arrived to confront Eggman. And because of this, a stray bullet from the robot may have penetrated a fuel tanker, causing an explosion. And this explosion may have ripped several vital shields from the mech’s body, exposing the fission core and…

The rest was inevitable. As the flame hit the reactor, a massive chain reaction has taken place, generating a huge amount of energy. It was a process very similar to the production of nuclear energy, although here there were no graphite rods, or liquid coolant. Only heat, more heat, and plutonium.

It was at this point that Sonic became aware of the attack on the city. Unfortunately, his notification had come in the form of a mushroom cloud spreading from the centre of the city.

He had been wandering the nuclear wasteland for days now. The first place he had gone after the explosion were his friends houses – None of them were there. Come to think of it, neither were most of their homes, the bare steel skeletons the only sign that there had once been a structure in that spot.

Now, there was nothing left. Everyone he knew, everyone who knew him… All gone, utterly destroyed by the explosion. Sonic knew he should count himself lucky, he was running in the Red Mountains when it had happened – But somehow, he just couldn’t bring himself to do so. Not when it had all been his fault. It was a cruel twist of fate, punished for his sins not by death, but forced to witness the death he had caused.

A tear slipped from Sonic’s eye as he stood back up. He couldn’t take this torment any longer. Walking over to the edge of the cliff, he stared down at the raging waters below. He did not know where he would go after this, but one thing was for certain – Anything was better than where he was now.

Sonic sniffed the air as he leant out over the cliff, puffing his chest out. A sense of calm settled over him now, the inevitability of what was about to happen giving him closure. He felt a small amount of rock crumble away from the very edge of the cliff, a slight whistling sound floating up as it hurtled down towards the sea. Tilting himself as far as possible forward, Sonic took a deep breath, the last he would take. Slowly, he let himself go, allowing his body to slowly topple into a fall…

“What the hell are you doing, faker?” A deep growl dragged Sonic back into reality, a pair of hands roughly grabbing his shoulders and pulling him back onto land.

Sonic’s eyes went wide as he heard that voice. No, it couldn’t be… All his friends were dead! Slowly, he turned his head, almost afraid that he was just imagining it… “Sh-shadow?” He gulped.

“Who else did you expect, hedgehog?” He grunted, turning Sonic to face him fully.

Sonic opened and closed his mouth like a fish, trying to say something, the words just not forming in his mouth. “You… You’re still alive? How?” He finally managed to say.

“I’m the ultimate lifeform, faker. It’s going to take more than a nuclear blast to stop me. I was in my basement at the time, anyway.” Shadow explained, leading Sonic back over to the rock. “Now, it’s YOUR turn to answer MY questions. Just what the hell were you doing there?”

Sonic bit his lip, looking down at the ground. “Nothing… I was just…” Sonic sighed, staring back out to the ocean. The sun was still sinking below the horizon, about half of the orange circle still visible. “Shadow… Have you ever had that feeling that… Something’s all your fault?”

“Yes, I have…” Shadow said simply, staring at Sonic. “But that still doesn’t explain why you were trying to kill yourself back there!”

“It’s because… This whole thing… The explosion, everything… It’s all my fault!” Sonic murmured, a few tears beginning to slide from his eyes.

Shadow raised a questioning eyebrow. “That doesn’t even make sense. How could ANY of this been caused by you?”

“Because…” Sonic spoke in a whisper now, trying to hold back his tears. “I could have prevented it… I could have stopped Eggman… But I was just too lazy! I told myself that it would take care of itself, and now look what’s happened! Everyone’s dead! They’re all dead!” A choked sob rang out, as Sonic began to shake.

“Sonic…” Shadow frowned, his eyes turning to stare at the ground. “Look at me…”

Slowly, the brown hedgehog looked up, his eyes red and watery. “Y-yes, Shadow?”

“Look, Sonic…” Shadow began, placing a gloved hand on his shoulder. “Don’t blame yourself… This is no more your fault than it is mine… I could have easily stopped Eggman myself, but I didn’t… I could have prevented this as well, but you don’t see me getting all upset over it…”

“But… I’m the hero!” Sonic blubbered, his breaths quick and heavy. “Everyone counted on me to stop him, and I didn’t! I’ve failed everyone! If I hadn’t joined back with Scourge, I’d have never adopted his personality! I wouldn’t have dismissed the situation, and everyone… Tails, Amy, Knuckles… They’d all still be alive!” A few more tears leaked from his eyes as he sniffled, before he lost all control.

Breaking down, Sonic let out a pained howl, flinging his arms around Shadow as he threw his face into his shoulder. He began to sob loudly, quickly coating the hedgehog’s left bicep with tears and flem. Shadow threw his arms back in surprise, almost swinging at him in retaliation. His rival was in a position which he was uncomfortable with, to say that least, and under normal circumstances he would have instantly pushed him away. But seeing the hedgehog in this pathetic state… It tugged at something inside Shadow, a feeling that he had seldom experienced. Slowly, a little unsure of what he was doing, the black hedgehog wrapped his arms around Sonic’s back, slowly rubbing his quills as he continued to sob.

The chocolate mammal jumped as he felt Shadow’s hand on his back, but quickly relaxed again as he felt it massage him. He let out another howl, holding onto Shadow tighter, not wanting to be left alone.

After what seemed like an eternity, Sonic’s sobs began to subside. He looked up from Shadow’s shoulder, slightly regretting what he had just done. “S-sorry…” He mumbled, pushing himself off of Shadow and scooting down the rock slightly.

“Don’t be…” Shadow replied, moving to sit next to him again. “It’s bad to bottle your emotions up. It’ll just be worse when you eventually do break.”

“Thank you, Shadow…” Sonic said, looking into his eyes as he said it, his bloodshot corneas almost matching Shadow’s.

“Hey… It’s fine…” Shadow smiled softly, a rare emotion for the black hedgehog. “If you don’t mind me saying… I kinda like your new personality…”

“Why?” Sonic sniffled, staring at the ground.

“It’s… Darker. I like that.” Shadow remarked, scratching at one of Sonic’s ears.

“Really?” Sonic murmured, a gentle purr beginning to emerge as Shadow scratched.

“Yeah…” Shadow said, continuing to play with Sonic’s ear. He moved his hand to the other one, itching at the base of it. “Heh… You like that?”

“Mmm…” The hedgehog moaned, closing his eyes. It was a rather unexpected move on behalf of the dark hedgehog, Sonic didn’t really know what he should think. It felt so nice, Shadow’s touch was firm yet gentle.

“Good… I know that it’s hard, losing your friends… But you need to move on… It wasn’t your fault…”

Sonic sighed heavily, pulling away from Shadow. “How isn’t it my fault? I should’ve been here for them, to protect them from harm… But I wasn’t…” Sonic’s voice cracked again, tears threatening to spill over again. “I’m a terrible person…”

“No, you’re not, Sonic.” Shadow said firmly, placing his hands on the brown one’s shoulders. “GUN are terrible people. They’d kill thousands of people just to advance themselves. You’re a good-hearted hedgehog who just made a mistake…”

Sonic simply whimpered in response, tucking his knees into his chest.

“Sonic, don’t do this.” Shadow pleaded with him, his eyes filled with concern. “You’re a good person, trust me. Hell, you’re far more than that. You’re smart, funny, resourceful, beautiful…” Shadow cut himself off suddenly, a heavy blush forming on his cheeks as he realized what he had just let slip.

Sonic slowly looked up, a shocked and confused expression on his face. “Did… Did you just say that I was beautiful?”

“Y-yes…” Shadow mumbled nervously, trying not to meet Sonic’s gaze.

“You really think that I’m beautiful?” Sonic continued, placing a hand under Shadow’s chin.

“Yes…” Shadow said again, as he began to tremble.

Sonic frowned as he noticed Shadow beginning to shake. “What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing…” Shadow sighed heavily. “It’s just… I’m sorry for saying that… Please don’t hate me now…” His ears flattened against his head as he waited for the outburst that was sure to follow.

You can imagine Shadow’s shock when he felt what Sonic did next. Instead of feeling the sting of a slap or punch, his eyes flew wide open as he felt Sonic’s lips gently pressed against his, the brown hedgehog moaning softly. Shadow, too, moaned, as he gently began to return the kiss, allowing one of his arms to snake around Sonic’s back, pulling the chocolate one close. His finger traced up and down Sonic’s spine as he licked at Sonic’s lower lip, becoming a bit more brash with his actions. Fortunately, Sonic happily opened his mouth, allowing Shadow to poke his tongue in and explore, giving a deep groan as he felt Shadow’s tongue poke his own. They began a fight with their tongues, both of the moist appendages licking and prodding at each other.

The two would have stayed like that forever if they could have, locked in their passionate kiss. Unfortunately, the desire to breathe overwhelmed that wish, as they both reluctantly pulled apart, their tongues continuing to lick at the other as they separated. Both hedgehogs panted heavily, trying to regain their lost breath. Sonic looked up a Shadow, smiling softly. “Don’t be…” He murmured, placing a hand on Shadow’s cheek.

The black one smiled back at him, cuddling up close to the brown hedgehog. “So… What’s going to happen now? What are we going to do, where are we going to go?”

“I don’t know…” Sonic admitted, grinning lovingly at Shadow. “But so long as it’s with you, I don’t care…”
____________________________________________________________

Wow, that ending was so cheesy you could spread it on pastry and call it a pizza! I hope you’ve enjoyed this little twoshot, remember, if you liked it, hated it, were indifferent or think that universal health care is a good idea, be sure to leave a review.

Oh, and is anyone up for RPing? If so, just send me a PM.